Portrait looks great on Nikon D60 display but...

patrik_lauber

<p>…not so great on my computer screen.<br>

Hi, I have a problem, when I take portrait photos it looks amazing when I preview the photo on my camera. The lighting is great, everything looks beautiful, it’s almost like I don’t have to process the picture in Photoshop, that’s how great it looks.<br /> <br /> But when I later transfer the photo to my PC and open it with Photoshop, it looks like a different picture; in fact it is as different picture. Everything is much darker, not my computer screen itself, but just the photograph is darker. I try to adjust the brightness but it’s just not the same, it doesn’t look good anymore. <br /> <br /> Does anyone know what I am talking about? How do I make the photograph on my PC look exactly as good as the one on my Nikon D60 display?<br /> <br /> Any help would be very appreciated, thanks.<br /> <br /> /P</p>

Assuming your monitor is properly calibrated, display a picture on the monitor and the same picture on the D60. Adjust the D60 display brightness until it's about as bright as the picture on your monitor. That's the best you can do as far as making them match. You might also try relying more on the image review histogram than the actual look of photo on the D60's display.

(If your monitor isn't calibrated, worry about that first.)

<p>Unless it's a very bad monitor, coming from JPG you will have as good or better an image if your monitor is properly calibrated. There's nothing special about the D60 screen - except that it's small and everything looks better small.</p>

<p>I have had the same problem with my Fujifilm S5 before I realized that the monitor was set on the bright side. I have come to rely on the histogram to let me know if the exposure is correct. So, I recommend you use the histogram.</p>

<p>Your D60 has 7 levels of brightness to set on the display. I'm sorry you had this problem, I know..I've been there.</p>

<p>ahhh, have you checked the histogram in camera? Maybe you are under exposing, and the display is so bright you don't know it? (this is David Long's point and I think he may be right)</p>

<p>Try this: Darken the camera's display (in the D60's custom functions) and give more exposure until the histogram looks right. Shoot in sRGB (raw+jpg) and compare the jpg to your camera's LCD, not the raw file. Process the raw file to look better than the jpg. Delete the jpg... t</p>