18-55 kitlens

keerthi

<p>It's very difficult to tell what's really going on (at the detail level) once you've resampled the whole image down to this size. Better to crop a chunk out, at full resolution, and post that. <br /><br />But based on what we see here: was this hand-held? At 1/160th on your shutter speed - which was the case here - that's certainly slow enough to induce some motion blur. You're also quite over exposed (see the loss of detail in the white water). If you shoot in RAW, you might be able to increase the shutter speed, which will reduce camera motion blur and get those highlights under control), and then tease up some of the shadow detail in post production without increasing noise too badly. It's a very high contrast scene, which always makes metering difficult. Of course, it's also hard to tell at what distance you were focused. Certainly at f/7, you could have been focused on foreground rocks and lose focus on those trees.</p>

<p>The EXIF data indicate a focus distance of 2.66m (7.6ft) - and a DOF of 0.67m (~2ft) ranging from 2.37m to 3.03m; it is also indicated the the right AF area was used and that dynamic AF was selected. Focusing that close would certainly explain the softness in the background - but it is hard to imagine that those data are correct giving the scene in the image. If, however, those data are correct, then I am wondering what the camera focussed on exactly. Is this the full image or a crop?</p>

<p>I always shoot manual .It was quite windy and the camera was hand held.As Matt suggested I am posting a crop at full res.I am also posting a similar pic with exposure of 1/400 sec at full res for comparison.</p><div>00T7ed-126747584.thumb.jpg.458390d4d4379ea5dfc7ddaefb5afbeb.jpg</div>

<p>Looks like camera shake motion blur. Since you described the day as windy and you were shooting handheld, a much faster shutter speed would be appropriate.</p>

<p>The usual guideline - shutter speed equivalent to focal length (1/30th sec for 28mm, 1/125 for 105mm, 1/250 for 200mm, etc.) - is only marginally useful. It assumes ideal conditions, no wind or vibration, good use of body alignment, and perfect technique to gently squeeze the shutter release button. Any variation from those ideals would require a faster shutter speed. My personal rule of thumb is to double the shutter speed for the focal length, but I'm not as steady as I used to be.</p>

<p>Check your technique. If possible have someone watch you while you're shooting. I see a lot of people unconsciously flinch and jab the shutter release button. This won't always produce noticeable motion blur with very fast shutter speeds or indoor flash, but will in other conditions.</p>

<p>When in doubt, test using a tripod or other support. This will help rule out variables such as camera shake.</p>