Bessa III 6x6-6x7 Folding RF

steve_levine

<p>These seem like great cameras. But they seem way too costly and a decade or two late for the market? Who will buy these? Except for the built in meters (and multi formats). What advantage do these have over the millions of old folders that are available at a fraction of the ($2200) cost?<br>

CV always seem to hit home runs, but this time I'm puzzled.</p>

<p>I believe it is/was conceived as a collector's piece originally. Some of the people behind CV have a great desire to collect and to resurrect older brands on new retro cameras. Steve, I fail to see any "advantage" and think that if folders were inherently designed better, they would not have become antiques & museum pieces. There is some argument in the "cool-factor" this folder presents, tho'.</p>

<p>It's a luxury item for collectors and very affluent photographers who want "the best". If money is no problem for you, this would be the folder camera to buy to impress your peer group or even use it to take some pictures.</p>

When others ask for my opinion of what is the "best" camera...I typically answer "the one you have with you."

Years ago, I bought and then (stupidly) sold a like new (truly unused w/unused case) Zeiss Super Ikonta C - latest version with coated

tessar and MX synch....what a beautiful piece! Now I have a Mess Ikonta w/tessar coming in the mail, and am looking forward to

rekindling my relationship with MF folders. But in most of these older folding cameras, a conspiracy of design and technology (non

computer aided design of front element focussing, and unreliable film flatness) - made them kind of iffy at times. Results from my

Super Ikonta were best when focussed at infinity, w/lens set somewhere around f/11. Contre-jour lighting also helped a bit, as did

making sure to wind forward just before a photo, otherwise the film tended to "relax" and bulge a bit.

But oh, what a joy to carry this in a pocket! The idea of realizing near-view camera quality from such a compact, light package is so

compelling...and now, to think of another folder - but with some critical technological updates thrown in which should mean more reliable

and consistent results (flatter film, better lens, etc)...yes - 2200 may be a little steep - but compare this price to that of a truly mint

example of a Bessa 2 with a Heliar (or even higher with an Apo Lanthar)...and my guess is the new Bessa 3 begins to look pretty

reasonable...and you can bet that both the quality and consistency of results - over a wide range of both aperture values and distances,

will truly set this new folder apart from its older, but still venerable counterparts.

A home run? Depends on the needs/desires/dreams of the user.

My hope for this new folder is that it will be successful enough to launch another one of similar design...but with a 55mm lens - and

perhaps also introduce a two piece close up set for the 80mm - consisting of a closeup lens and a viewfinder focus/parallax correction

plate. If this could be realized, then, for me, this would be a ball hit outta the park! The only thing better (but unlikely I'm afraid) would

be to realize a rennaisance of the MF folder - which would create a bit of healthy competition...increasing options and (perhaps) lowering

prices a bit.

ps...also compare the new Bessa 3 price to current prices of the relatively contemporary Plaubel Makina 67, a very

interesting camera in its own right but with a few definite quirks. My guess is that if Plaubel had come out with a design

more akin to that of the earlier folders, (but again, with updated optics and better film flatness), it would have been more

successful and long lived in the marketplace.

<p>In an earnest answer to Steve's question about what advantages it has, here would be my take:<br>

1. It is brand new. That means it has a warranty, it has just come out of a good factory, so everything will be working 100% correctly, and if it isn't, you get another or yours is fixed for free.<br>

2. Being brand new, it will not have 50+ years of wear and tear on it, like most other folding cameras. Even well-cared for cameras that old need more care than most new cameras.<br>

3. Given the new technology, it is likely to have much better optics in both the lens and viewfinder. It will also be likely to be more rigid, and therefore having more consistently high performance results. <br>

4. This camera has a TTL meter with feedback in the viewfinder, as well as AE operation. Speeds from 4s to 1/500th. No other classic folders have this that I am aware of (besides the Plaubel Makina, which is a bit different type design)<br>

5. It shoots 6x6 and 6x7 in both 120 and 220 -- that is a quite versatile option in a camera this size.<br>

Now it is not going to be in my bag, but if you are interested in the smallest and lightest 6x7 camera that works like a fairly modern camera (optically and operationally), then it is a good choice. The price is quite steep, but voigtlander really does make some great stuff -- people who have shot with their M lenses will usually admit that they are very close to the Leica equivalents. </p>

<p>Check out the Mamiya 7II prices at <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=357366&Q=&is=REG&A=details">B&H</a> and <a href="http://www.adorama.com/MY72VP.html">Adorama</a>. This is the only other modern medium format rangefinder that you can buy new that I know of. The price of the Bessa III doesn't look so far off to me.</p>

<p>Some long replies on this one. The silicon photodiode is located beside the RF window.</p>

<p>After seeing the collapse of most medium format gear manufacturers - I'm happy to see Fuji and Cosina bring out a niche camera. - It's not a system camera. - So, hang on to your Mamiya RF camera, if you have one.</p>

<p>I currently use 3 RF folders, one 6x6 Super Isolette, a Record III and a Bessa II - plus my cartoonish Fuji GW690 III - non of which are a perfect camera - but I make do pretty well with them.</p>

<p>If you can afford one, this Bessa III / 667 has a modern RF viewfinder with parallax corrected frame-lines, automat film winding and hopefully a superb unit-focusing lens - in addition to the built in meter and a semi-auto mode. That's a world away from an Agfa Record III. If the performance of my big Fuji 6x9 is an indicator, the resolution of the modern lens will blow the Record III out of the water.</p>

<p>It's a shame that a 6x9 isn't being offered. Even at this price, I'd sell GW690 III and get one. Just a personal preference.</p>

Best Regards - Andrew in Austin, TX

<p>It's an interesting camera, but the price is about double what it should be. It being a new folder is offset by just that. It's a new folder. It won't be built of the same quality materials, or with the same expert craftsmanship as the old cameras. I also seriously doubt the pics from it will be as good as the best of the Old Guard.</p>

<p>The only relevant thing about the warranty is that you'll probably be needing it. If Leica had come up w/ this I would have paid pretty much whatever they were asking for it, but having used several of the "Voigtlander" cameras I am in no hurry to use another one. Maybe the marketing department can put a good spin on this thing, but I see it as being nothing but trouble for the prospective users. The majority of them will be in the landfills 25 years from now, unlike my 74 year old Welta.</p>

<p>Don't forget its really a Fuji camera, just being marketed as a Voigtlander everywhere other than Japan. You should expect it to be the same build quality as the fuji rangefinders, xpan, GX617, GX680 etc etc. It's probably actually manufactured by Cosina, since it was reputedly a joint development between Fuji and Cosina.</p>