dell and sd card help

stevecarlson

<p>I am looking for a computer geek to help me with a computer card reader. I am trying to get my card reader on my computer to work, Please email me if its too indepht<br>

my sd cards work on my D40, but when I try to use my card reader on my dell it tells me I need to format, But if I format on the computer, they wont work on the camera. Is there any way to adjust to work on both. I.E. settings on the computer<br>

Thank you Steve</p>

<p>Do you know the brand or model of the card reader? If it's an external device it should be labeled. Most external card readers are USB devices, and sometimes switching cables or ports can clear up problems. Or the device can be reinstalled. Depending on your computer setup just unplugging and replugging might do the trick. Otherwise there are other manually operated steps to reinstall.</p>

<p>If internal, you might be able to identify it some other way (if you're familiar with the control panel or other utilities). Specifying your computer model might help to ID the device and problem (Dell usually has an online database with this info).</p>

<p>Lex, it is a internal, SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller V. Just not sure how to configure it. It says it working, but just not for my cards. I will try the dell web site, I checked the computer store where I bought the computer and their geeks dident know</p>

<p>-- "But if I format on the computer, they wont work on the camera."</p>

<p>Does the card work in the computer if you format in computer?</p>

<p>I ask, because I just thought to myself, what if you have an SD reader in your computer, but your card is SDHC (and therefore not supported by your reader). What capacity has the card? (If it's 4GB and above, it is SDHC).</p>

<p>Steven -</p>

<p>I had to buy an external SDHC reader as mentioned by Rainer above since none of my 'older' HP, Del or Toshiba PCs with built in readers would read them. Same issue. The external reader was less than $11 and plugs in via USB 2.0. You can buy an internal reader of the SDHC variety e.g. the Nmedia C98 but you are looking at $30 plus the difficulty setting it up.</p>

<p>The portable goes with me to any and every computer, anywhere ... almost all now have the ubiquitous USB. It's a more sane solution for me.</p>

<p>Jim</p><div>00T6iT-126223684.jpg.3bb75a43b6f4e4508d86e3fd8db492be.jpg</div>

<p>I had the same thing happen with a HP laptop and a 2gb SD card. The SD card wouldn't work in the onboard slot. Error message prompted me to format the SD card as well. I even tried to format a new SD card I had on hand, and it wouldn't even format. Then I tried using an external USB SDHC card reader (Sandisk MicroMate), and voila! Problem solved. </p>

<p>Another option is to connect the camera (with SD card installed) to the computer via the cable that comes with the camera.</p>

<p>I currently use the camera to computer cable, works. But can be a pain. Begining to think the card reader is for 4+gig cards, I think I will stick to the old tryed and true intill I can find a better fix, Asfor computer: 1600 mhz Gateway, cant even find it on the web site and the site was no help, so intill I can aford a new system, I guess it works<br>

thank you all for the help</p>