Which camera profile in Lr

luca_m.

<p>I have a D40 and use Lightroom 2.3. To this day I have been using mostly the default "Adobe Standard" profile.<br>

I tried playing with some of the Nikon D2X 1, 2 and 3 Modes (I don't believe that there is a specific D40 profile available). The differences between profiles are remarkable. If a certain profile seems to be perfect for one set of pictures, a different one seems to work better the next time. I just don't seem to be able to settle on a specific one.<br>

In general, using the Adobe standard profile images look a little softer, warmer and darker than using the Nikon ones. On the other hand, the D2X profiles seem to give sharper and brighter, more contrasty images, though these images are more often overexposed and in need of "recovery".<br>

I thought I would ask for some advice about which camera profile works best for some of you guys.</p>

<p>Luca</p>

<p>I use a D80 and lightroom 2.3. I started using the "camera standard" profile, and it seems to be the more accurate representation for me. your mileage may vary, but I thought my pictures looked better using this rather than the adobe standard.</p>

<p>just my 2 cents.</p>

<p>It is specific to the serial number associated with the camera that took the picture. I also have a d40x, and to be able to set the camera standard profile as default for all of my photos, I have to set it for both the d80 and the d40x separately. Hope that makes sense.</p>

<p>The list of profiles you see under the camera calibration panel is specific for the camera model on the particular shot selected in lightroom. I believe there is a list of adobe profiles (Standard, vivid, etc), the three D2X profiles, and then several that associate with the shooting modes on your camera (camera standard, camera vivid, camera neutral, etc).</p>

<p>If options like 'camera landscape' and 'camera standard' appear under the Profiles drop-down menu in Camera Calibration, they're for your specific make and model of camera. LR uses that naming convention instead of listing the camera brand and/or model. LR auto-detects the specific camera based on the image file metadata. If no 'camera ___' option is shown, the camera is not a supported model. If the calibration option shows 'embedded', it's a jpg or other unsupported file.</p>

<p>The other Profile options, like 'Adobe standard' or ACR x.x' are there just as options if you want to try out that look. These alternate options are brand-dependent as well. A 'D2X ___' profile option appears for my D200 raw files, but not for my Canon G9's. Pretty smart software, IMO, except for the 'Profile' naming convention, which generates confusion and shouldn't.</p>