Hands-on experience with D5000?

wesleyfarnsworth

<p>Wesley, since there are already a couple of speculative discussions about the D5000 running I updated your thread title to be more specific. Other than the folks Shun mentioned, the only people I can think of who might get an early hands-on would be camera shop employees. A few photo.netters do work in shops so I'm betting one of them will chime in as soon as they've actually seen and handled the new camera. (John Schroeder... paging John Schroeder...!)</p>

<p>Again, since Nikon has not shipped the D5000 to camera stores, I am not sure store employees have access either. Maybe some Nikon representatives have them and might take them to stores, but in those cases since the camera is pre-release, they wouldn't let you insert your own memory card and keep the images. Most likely, we have to wait another couple of weeks before the D5000 is available for some hands-on experience.</p>

<p>photo.net received advanced information on the D5000, but the details were not passed along until just a few days prior to the actual announcement. I only had a few days to write up the previews based on information from Nikon USA. And of course I was under the non-disclosure agreement photo.net signed. But unlike DPReview, we did not have an actual pre-release smaple on hand.</p>

<p>However, since the D5000 uses exactly the same sensor and AF module as the D90, and most likely a lot of the electronics are common, one would expect similar performance as the D90. The main question is how well the swivel LCD works. I would imagine that it'll take Nikon a couple of generations to gradually refine any new feature.</p>