talking about an additional piece that goes connected to the

tripod mount board and has a thread for the tripod as well. The

function is to shift the weight slightly further. I have been looking

also for una for my D-2 . They are very rear, who has them tend to

keep them. Check e-bay you might be lucky there., In case you

won't find it , you might want to consider a monopod to mount to

the rontrail to minimize the stress expecially with heavy lenses in

poirtrature "mode".

If you can't find one, some tripod heads like the Gitzo 15xx three-way heads have long slots with a sliding screw for this purpose. Robert White has great prices on new ones or you can pick up an older heavier version for less on the used market. I have the G1570M, which is a low-profile magnesium head--very steady and relatively lightweight.

Posting is much more diffucult than it used to be.

I firmed up mine with a piece of 1/2" by 3" oak that runs from the hole on the 2d to the end of the rail. I put a t-nut (mounted upside down) a bit less than 1/2 way (no extention rails on). Sprouting from the T-nut is a cross member running out to the side rails. On the three rails without a hole, are rabbets (I just laminated a second piece in stead) so the rails and front nestle in. Looks like a cross.

Dean

If you don't have any luck anywhere else, and you are looking for something functional as opposed to collecting, it looks like it would be easy to make. You would have to have a sheet metal shop cut and bend two pieces of brass. Most hardware stores have the 1/4 20 insert. The rest is just a piece of hardwood and a long bolt and a knob. The bolt has a pin in it to keep it from rotating when you turn the knob. There is about a 1/16" of an inch relief in the wood on one side to allow the brass to grip the camera rail when you tighten the knob. The hardwood is three pieces like a deardorff lens board to keep it from warping.

I would be happy to lay mine on a scanner with a rule in several positions and Email you the results, if that would help.

Neal