Leica M2 pulls up 90mm frame line for 28mm lens

<p>I am new to the rangefinder world as I recently purchased a Leica M2, so pardon me if this is a silly question. I also purchased a Voigtlander 28mm f/1.9 lens. The CV 28mm is a LTM but I have the adapter on it to use on my M2. When I put this lens on the camera, it pulls up the 90mm frame line instead of the 35mm. Is this normal? Thanks in advance</p>

Often, the 90 and 28 framelines appear together. At least, that is the case with the M4, M4-P, M6, M6TTL and M7. An

adapter will bring out both... if both are present. Otherwise, the 90mm framelines will be the only ones to come.

It is the case in my M3 and my M4-2.

You can assume that the 28mm FOV is the entire viewfinder. Not the best and most exact, but reliable enough. If you

want a more precise idea, get a 28mm finder.

In the meanwhile, have wild amounts of fun shooting with your camera and lens!

<p>No adapter will bring up 28mm framelines on an M2 because the M2 predates 28mm framelines. You could have them installed - they would be paired with your 90mm framelines. Don't know what the cost would be though - probably not too bad. Even if you got a different adapter you would still need to use the whole finder for your 28mm lens. Your 28-90 adapter is fine. </p>

in the M4-P and later M's, the 28 and 90mm framelines are brought up together - in other words, both the 90mm and the 28mm rear mounts

are configured identically...so that the cam follower is pushed into the same position with each of these focal lengths. But in the M-2, M-4,

and M4-2, although the finder magnification is identical to that of the later M's, the 28mm frameline was not yet included. My

recommendation is to try the 28 for awhile...with no finder modification, and assume that all of what is visible in the viewfinder is about

equal to the 28's angle of view...and see if this works for you. If not....then go ahead and have the finder modified.

<p>Hello Ryan, I'm the guy who sold you the Voigtlander 28mm. I was going to warn you that you would need an external viewfinder if you are going to use this lense on any leica before the M4-P. For some reason I thought you were using a M4, and I assumed you understood that it does not have the proper lines for a 28 . Thats why I was selling this lense with my M4-P. <br>

Sill I have used this lense on my M3 ,and it too pulled up - i believe two different frame lines together. However You can focus useing the camera's viewfinder and then compose with an external finder .But if you are mostly interested in using wide angle ,then i think you should consider a M4-P or above. NO , not mine -its on ebay . <br>

Also, I promise you that the LTM to M adaptor for that lense which I gave you is the correct one and that it works perfectly on the right camera. Please don't hessitate to write me if you want to. I'm no leica expert, but I have owned several Leica bodys and quit a few lenses. I have never had the experience of useing a M2 , but I understand its supposed to be the best body Leica's ever made. So I would suggest that if you can afford a external finder or another body in the future, keep the lense or resell it. But ,have no fear ,that the lense and adaptor are in perfect working order.<br>

Try it out for awhile ,and if you still feel uncomfortable , write me. Its a great lense. But again, if you want to do a lot of wide angle shooting you will need a external finder.<br>

John T </p>

<p>IN ANY Leica, the 28 and 90 lenses bring up the same frame line set - they are permanently paired together at least since 1970 (as to lenses - the 28 lines didn't show up until 1980, as noted). Auto frameline selection depends on the length of one of the mounting flanges (which is why the adapter in question is called a 28/90 adapter) and both 28 and 90 lenses (and also the 21s since 1980) have the same flange pattern.</p>

<p>I.E. - any Leica M 90 or 28(post 1970) or 21(post 1980) will bring up both the 90 and 28 lines - IF they exist in the camera.</p>

<p>The first M Leica/lens combo I ever used was a 28 on an M2. I just used "the whole viewfinder" for framing and it worked fine.</p>

<p>Not a surprise. The adapter for the 28mm and 90mm is the same ... so if you had an M6 and mounted a 28mm, you would see the 28mm and the 90mm frames come up together. Same deal if you mounted a 90mm. The M2 does not have 28mm frames, so all you see is the 90mm. If you do not wear glasses, you can approximate the 28mm field of view by using the whole of the viewfinder. I wear glasses and find this is actually pretty good. I have an external 28mm finder and don't use it all that much. Estimating with the full .72 viewfinder does the job for me. And I use exactly that combination you have ... an M2 with 28mm f1.9 ultron.</p>