Nikon D40 and ISO setting

tonycooper

<p>With my Nikon D40 and 55/200 lens, I usually shoot Program or aperture priority and RAW. I have my ISO set to 200 (not Automatic) for sunny Florida daylight shots.<br>

In looking at the EXIF data, I noticed that the ISO ranges from 200 to 1000. I thought that if I set the ISO at 200 that it would always shoot at 200. Did the same thing today when shooting shutter priority.<br>

I convert the images from NEF to DNG when I upload them in Bridge, and it's the DNG file that shows the range in ISO if that makes any difference.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>To expand on Lex's answer, there are two auto-ISO options on the D40. The "ISO auto" option in the custom settings menu (CSM) is likely enabled, and it is completely different from the auto option in the pulldown list where you set the ISO to 200. (The auto in the pull-down list is disabled when in PSAM modes anyway.)</p>

<p>If you do use an auto ISO setting, the one from the CSM is likely better, as it only kicks in when the shutter speed drops below a minimum you can set. E.g. You can have it only bump the ISO when shutter speed drops below 1/30.</p>