EOS50D vs EOS500D which one do i go for?

rampix

<p>Has the 500D been tested by anyone yet? The camera is not supposed to be released until very late April or early May. I don't know how this could be answered without making some rather questionable assumptions.</p>

<p>However, as with any choice, what works for you may or may not work for someone else. Your needs should dictate your choice, and price is obviously one of those considerations.</p>

<p>You can compare the specs side-by-side here: http://lnk.nu/dpreview.com/ul5.asp</p>

<p>I did the comparison on Canon between my 450>500>50D<br>

The specs are mostly similar with loads of additional optional settings on the 50 which i prolly wouldnt understand. i do like the 1/8000 and 6+/second speed though. But then maybe bigger isnt always better :)</p>

<p>I believe the 1 big obvious difference is the 500D will shoot video. Its always worth it ( if possible ) to handle a camera live to check how it feels in your hands. I prefer the larger feel and faster speed of the 40/50D series but I have no problem with the 400/500D's they all perform very well. </p>

<p>I just moved from a 300D to a 50D and don't regret the purchase even with the new model just coming out.</p>

<p>For me the frame-rate and number of mega-pixels had little bearing on my decision. I don't think the spec sheet really shows the major differences between the two models. Without even seeing the 500D we know that the 50D will have a better view finder, better weather sealing, the rear command dial and the nubby, joy-stick thing and more customisations. It's quicker and easier to use the 50D because of these features.</p>

<p>If those things are useful to you then the 50D is well worth the extra.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>Love the D50 - just have to hold the ISO back though as on auto it tends to go very high ISO at the drop of a hat and even though it allows for a higher shutter speed i prefer the 450 which is more conservative and still works well as i use a mono or tripod often. <br>

I need to experiment with manual ISO ... 4 week trip to UK coming up so no stranger on the street is safe :) </p>