Voigtlander Nokton 1,2 or 35 mm Summicron on Leica M6 TTL

HK71

<p>Dear Friends;<br>

Which will be your choice:35 mm Voigtlander Nokton 1,2 ASPH or 35 mm Leica Summicron f/2 on Leica M6 TTL and finally your experience if you have any, especially about Nokton? Please consider price.<br>

Thnx<br>

Hakan</p>

You can't possibly be serious! There is really no comparison between these two lenses. Don't get me wrong, the 35mm f/1.2 Nokton is a fine lens - I have owned one myself and regretted selling it. Stop-to-stop, the CV f/1.2 Nokton will produce images with noticeably less contrast compared to the Asph Summicron (it would take a side-by-side comparison for the differences to really be appreciated), but the Summicron is 1.5 stops slower. You might do much better with the CV f/1.4 Nokton. It is about the size of the version IV pre-asph Summicron, about half the price of the CV f/1.2 Nokton, and it’s still a stop faster than the Summicron. Then you can ask for a direct comparison between the CV f/1.4 Nokton and the 35mm Asph Summilux (about seven-times the price).

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

<p>those two lenses are very different in both size and purpose. if you take most of your shots in dark alleyways and nightclubs, then the nokton is for you. if you walk around a lot with your camera, then the summicron is for you. the nokton is a very large and heavy lens. the pictures it renders are nice and it's got good bokeh but when wide open, it's not that sharp. the summicron is much sharper wide open however, it only goes to F2 so that's a large f stop difference between the two lenses. the summicron is nice to use when you're traveling or walking around. it's wide enough when you need it and light enough not to strain your neck. get the lens that suits your purposes and photography style.</p>

<p>For the majority of street and general film photography, the Summicron 35mm f2 has been a fine work horse lens. The size, weight, and optical quality of the lens is great. Especially if you use ISO 100 and 400 film.<br>

For low light film photography, the Nokton 35mm 1.4 SC has been a great addition due to its size, weight, price, and sharpness. I read the photo.net reviews on the Nokton 35 1.2 and 35 1.4. In the end, I decided on the 35 1.4 SC based on size, weight, price, and sharpness.<br>

Photography is about capturing the moment. For less than $400, I am less reluctant about carrying the Nokton 35 1.4 around on a user Leica even when there is a good chance of the rig being dropped or banged into. I would feel less confortable abusing the Summicron or Nokton 35 1.2 or Summilux 35 1.4 ASPH and would miss some photos.</p>

<p>I have both Leica glass and CV/Zeiss. To be honnest, in 10x15 inch prints from my HP5 negatives I see no difference in quality. All the errors/differences are carbon based and can be traced to the operator!<br>

Do you need the speed? Do you need smaller size? I use the Zeiss Planar 50mm f/2 with my M3 & M4-P and it is OUTSTANDING!</p>

<p>You know there is nothing bad about the Voigtlander 35mm f/1.2 except the thing is big but then so is the Leica noct.<br>

Don't argue, look at the pictures on this recent thread posted on Rangefinderforum. Lots of entertaining photos taken with the lens.<br>

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=72649<br>

Certainly nothing bad to say about the pictures there. And the lens is very well made, I wish I had the Chrome version. One expects the Leica to be exceptional for the price, but many like the Bokeh of the non asph ver 4 better than the asph ver. I wouldn't mind having one of those either but I do have the ver 4 so I feel lucky.</p>

<p>I liked the cave shots the 3 dimensionality of the first and last shot were great. Also, the snowflake street shot showed that the comment about lack of contrast is utter garbage. I have a Summicron myself and I would love to add this f/1.2 lens for night and indoor available light shots. The last portrait of the Asian girl reading shows the lens to be a great available light portrait lens too. This lens is an absolute bargain and if you don't object to the extra weight and using an external vf in order to get a really great low low light tool at an affordable price its a steal.</p>

<p>The 35mm f/2 Summicron is a classic Leica lens -- small, light, optically excellent, balancing and handling exceptionally well on an M body. The 35mm f/1.2 Nokton is more than a full stop faster, and reputed to be quite good optically, but considerably larger and heavier than the Summicron. The Summicron would be better as an all-around lens, the Nokton preferable for someone who does a good deal of shooting in very dim available light.</p>

<p>I've had both the Nokton 1.2 and the Summicron and used them with M7 & M8.<br>

In my experience the Summicron is the better all round lens primarily because of it's superb sharpness and rendering, plus obviously it's much smaller size and lighter weight. I can't fault it.<br>

The 35/1.2 is however a superb lens if you want some more creative shooting at extra shallow DoF and interesting bokeh. It's usable as a walk around lens but it is bulky and also encroaches into the viewfinder view significantly, particularly when using the hood. I found that the focus action is also heavily weighted compared to the Summicron and the lack of a focus tab made it more cumbersome to use. The flip side of course is that the lower gearing provides more accurate focusing at wide open apertures and I actually fitted a Leica Goodies Steer on to the lens to make this much easier.<br>

In summary, think about how you want to use the lens. If it's going to be your primary street lens then consider the Summicron the better choice. If you want a more "artistic' rendering lens wide open then maybe the Nokton is a better choice. Best choice - get both :-)</p>

• 4 months later...

<p>Hello Hakan:<br>

go with CV 35mm f1.2 considering the price and performance ratio.<br>

will you get 3 times better results with summicron? is summicron<br>

3 times smaller or 3 times lighter?</p>

<p>ok Leica lenses are great. But when you do back to back comparison<br>

do you really get multiple times better results?<br>

I would go with CV. also, consider getting the 35mm f1.4. this lens is<br>

even cheaper than CV f1.2 and "lighter"</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Serdar.</p>