40D shutter release button not working

nhut-nguyen

<p>I experience a phenomenon where my 40D's shutter release button does work properly. When I fully press the button it does not trigger a shot, I press it again and it works, it happens so radomly that I don't know when the button works and when it does not.<br>

I fixed the problem by turning the camera off and pressing the release button down for about 100 times, I also did a circular motion while the button was fully pressed. The camera works fine for now. Has anybody experience the same problem? I have the feeling that my 18-month-old 40D's shutter release button is wearing out.<br>

Thanks for your help.</p>

<p>MAybe a wee bit of crud/finger goo worked it's way down onto the shutter contact. Sometimes exercising it rubs it off enough so it conducts electricity again. I'm guessing you'll need to clean it all off or replace the contact.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>`When I fully press the button it does not trigger a shot, I press it again and it works,`</p>

<p>This is not enough info or incorrect use, The camera is designed so as the shutter release is 1/2 pressed and focus confirmed, then fully depressed for shutter release. (Sometimes if pressed to hard it may just focus and nothing else), If you are doing it right then the button may be dirty on contacts, if not practice 1/2 pressing to achieve focus or in CF shift focus to the `*` button. I had a similar prob years ago with a crook battery D30 but that needed on/of switching between shots, and ocassionally in very low light not lockin focus. A 20d I have now needs a very firm press to work after 90K :) </p>

<p>Thanks everyone for the answer.<br>

I forgot to mention that I did a 10-mile hike yesterday in a very dusty condition with my camera hanging around my neck. I think some dust or dirt worked its way down there. Anyways just took the camera out to shoot some birds, it worked perfectly fine.</p>

<p>Mine just came back from warrenty repair by Canon. I had the intermittent shutter release. The half press worked fine, but the full press was hit and miss. It also got worse when it was cold outside. Seems a common problem. They knew my issue as soon as I said one sentence over the phone. It took 8 days from when it left my house in Montana until it was back on my doorstep.</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p><strong>CANON EOS400D, CANON EOS SERIES SHUTTER BUTTON NOT WORKING - SOLUTION</strong><br>

Please consider my solution.</p>

<p>I have an EOS400D, and had the same problem. Maybe this solution will work with other Canon EOS series cameras.<br>

A day before going on my dream Safari holiday to Kenya, I took my EOS400D out and tried it. The AF was focusing and the camera beeped to indicate it had locked, but when i presed the Shutter button, Nothng. The camera just wouldn't fire.</p>

<p>In the viewfinder, a green dot appeared on the right-hand side along the number '9'.<br>

I tried taking off the AF switch and puting on MF (manual focus), but when i pressed the shutter button, stll the same. No shutter button action.<br>

I ws at my wits and, and ws just in the process of calling the UK Canon service centre, who said this was a common problem, and i should put the camera body back in the box and send it to them for recorded delivery for service/repair.<br>

They said this was a common problem would cost between £100 - £150.<br>

I was just about to do this, when i had a brain storm...<br>

Solution?:<br>

I left he camera on...completly drained the batteries. Then i took the battery out and fully charged the battery for 24 hours.<br>

The next day, i put the battery back in the camera, and hey presto, SHUTTER BUTTON WORKING! . Just a DAY before going on holiday.<br>

I can only conclude that, because i hadn't used the camera for about 2 months prior, the battery's negative/positive charge may have been shot to pieces, or some other irregularty. Anyway, leaving the camera on to completely discharge the battery and charging it up again, that seemed to work.<br>

I would urge you to try this solution, and if it works PLEASE email me just to let me know - araine_ricki@yahoo.co.uk I normally never sign-up to these forums, but i just signed up this time as i believe if this solution helkps just one prson, i would be happy.</p>

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

<p>Hi,<br>

I was having exactly the same problem with my EOS 400D as previously mentioned, unresponsive shutter button that would fire intermittently (to the point of wanting to throw the camera across the room!). <br>

It just one day seemed to do this and got worse. Today, whilst reading this thread, I still hadn't managed to figure out why and it was still doing it, it's been over a year and I was contemplating opening the camera, as can't afford a service and thought, well, nothing to lose. I didn't.<br>

I checked the battery, no corrosion, so didn't bother there. I cleaned the contacts to the lens...no change what so ever. But what I did do, and hey presto it's back working, is just stuck a dampened finger to get little grip on the the shutter button whilst pushing down and gently wiggled it back and forth. I think it's dust or another kind of debris that is in between the contacts. Give it a go first before sending off for service. I am so chuffed my camera is back and firing quick off the mark! :)<br>

<br />Regards<br>

Loren</p>