ADVICE on helmet for demonstration needed

to-mas

<p>Hi,<br /> I would like to ask for advice on helmet. Main use would be on demonstration,rioting,etc so hopefully no bullets.<br /> So far I was borrowing a mountaineer helmet,but it didn’t protect from the side.<br /> Also I would be interested to know how do you deal with police gas use at demonstration.<br /> Thanks in advance<br /> Tomas</p>

<p>I would NOT wear anything resembling military gear. You're more likely to be set upon by both protesters and particularly by cops. Wear a good bike helmet. It won't seem so out of place. I would wear very well-sealed goggles, since pepper spray is a good bet. Keep the gas mask in a bag until needed. Without a pro-quality mask/goggles, the gas will eventually get you, and it is asphyxiating. The worst part is being blinded by pepper spray in a stampeding mob. It happened to me years ago. I could only see very vague blobs of shade and color (and I still took pictures) through my tears, as I stumbled to a safer area.</p>

<p>Keep scanning all around you at all times instead of point-focusing on something. If things get ugly, get a quick string of shots, and get out. Be careful, and take an ultra-wide, >20mm in FF. You know that exercise where one hopscotches rapidly through the old car tires? VERY handy skill to have.</p>

<p><br /> BILL :Thanks, but as was written by Luis, it is not safe to wear military stuff. Police will think that I am radical rioter (they already sometime do think that as I am just 25) and demonstrator will think I am a hidden policeman. <br /> Luis : Thanks for tips. What kind of gas mask you use? There are many types,big ones with filter or just small for painters<br /> <br /> Mikael: Thanks, I will check that site for inspiration,even I will buy it here in Slovakia because of postage.<br /> <br /> Clive: I already did http://www.lightstalkers.org/advice-on-helmet-for-demonstration-needed#latest</p>