Is it Going to be D90, D300 or D700?

arun_seetharam

<p><em>... scans you'll get form the 5000 will blow the doors off of anything you'd shoot with a D700 ...</em><br /><br />Oy. Don't you think that rather depends on what you're shooting? Which film stock did you have in mind for producing clean ISO 1600 or 3200 available-light images?</p>

<p>With that much coming back to you, I might consider getting off the technology treadmill for a little while and going back to film, perhaps to something you've used/considered before. I just recently went digital with a D90, but the depreciation rates and planned obsolescence have been irritating me, so I'm unlikely to buy another digital until 20+MP FF sort of settles into a reasonable and stable price range.<br>

Simultaneously, I just realized that classic MF cameras have dropped so much in price that used Hasselblads has now within reach. So I've been sucking up Hassey equipment at a dangerous pace, albeit a fraction of what it costs new. With $2500, you could easily get a used 501CM and a couple of lenses and enjoy the virtues of precision manufactured machinery, so well-made that it functions as it did 20+ years ago. Of course, everything moves slower when you have to meter yourself, focus yourself, and can't make multiple test exposures to toss out from a CF card. But they are mechanical marvels and the optics are terrific. The only problem is that digitizing them presents a whole new set of problems, but that's the nature of going big.</p>

<p>Once again, as a moderator for this forum, I'd like to remind everybody not to start yet another totally unnecessary film vs. digital debate.</p>

<p>As far as I can tell, Arun is not asking for film SLR recommendations and even if he is, please search the archives first as there are already tons of existing threads already. If necessary, please start a totally new thread on that separate topic.</p>

<p>I am with Joseph. You do not have to spend every last cent as soon as you get it. I suggest at least an 8 month reserve in cash for hard times that may be coming. But if you have to spend it then just pick one out. Whatever you buy will be two years old in two years. Then there will be new models calling to you in your thoughts and dreams to keep your bank account lean and lonely...</p>

<p>If your only using a hundred clicks a week, i would stick with the D200. But thats me. <strong>Maybe wait for the D800?</strong></p>

<p>Otherwise, cut that thin thread! Although many will disagree I dont think the it is worth upgrading from a D200 to D300. Go right for FX. Dont look back.</p>

<p>The D200 is a superb camera. Keep it and spend your dough on optics. I'm waiting for a 24mp D700, which may be a year or two from now. Hopefully Nikon will jettison the silly sensor vibration feature and give us a true 100 percent viewfinder.</p>

<p>I am reading with interest all the posts related to the original question, as I am facing a similar problem.....I would like to improve my system, actually I have a CANON 400 with Canon and Sigma lenses and thiking to improve the system. I am an amateur photographer and as you can see from my galleries here, my main interest in photography relates to Flowers (I am particularly fond of Macros) and Still life compositions, this is my range of ''photographic production'' so in a word the majority of my shots are ''studio'' ones. I would like to change brand, not because I am not satisfied with CANON, simply because I am very tempted by Nikon and eventhough this will mean to add new lenses, I will for sure continue to keep both the camera bodies. So now my question for you, dear friends.....under the circumstances above is really essential to pass to a Full frame camera (the D700 is really temptimg me a lot...) or the D300 would be enough for my exigencies? For sure I would like to improve with a semi professional camera, not spending a fortune..., the range of price for the NIKON D700 would be the maximum I can spend for this ''photographic passion'' (considering also the budget for a couple of good lenses). I have heard enthusiastic words about Full frame but also other theories that are causing a little of confusion in my mind....<br>

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions<br>

Paola</p>