Goose Fight on the Patapsco

shots worth sharing

<p>Actually, I think this may be the first BIF I've ever posted, Javier--Daniel's way ahead of me in that genre. This brouhaha caught me totally by surprise (I wasn't thinking about photographing the geese at all) and my settings (especially shutter speed) were all wrong. Like I say, I thought it was interesting if not very good.</p>

<p>Actually Dave, I like it. It shows a strong sense of movement. Maybe it would be interesting to some in B&W with a touch of "Unsharp mask"!<br>

You cannot plan shots like these. The quality of the image may not be optimum, but the scene is unique. You can really feel the fear of the bird being chased.</p><div>00T3jU-124805584.jpg.50f93760edc74edb3a21da077b4c9a99.jpg</div>

<p>Interesting--I hadn't done any sharpening (figuring, "Why bother sharpening motion blur?") but Yvon's right: sharpening would at least nail the reflection as a sort of anchor for the eye. That the reflection is relatively clear, I think, is because I made no effort to pan (probably just as well since the birds were going in different directions at different speeds) but also because I think we instinctively apply different clarity standards for water reflections. </p>

<p>I'll resist B&W, though. To my eye, the tones of color and light are one of the strengths of the original--along with the curving, wake of the fracas and the coming-at-you dynamic. The weakness, of course, is (camera <em>and</em> subject) motion blur resulting from a too-slow (1/50) shutter speed (I'd been shooting vegetation when the fight broke out) and the absence of 'pod stabilization.</p>

<p>The bottom line for me is, "<strong>*&^%$#!</strong> This <em>coulda been</em> really good!" I've posited (in relation to sports photography) that some technical weaknesses can be forgiven in a good action shot--but there <em>are</em> limits. </p>

<p>Dave<br /> <br /> I have never managed panning shots as my panning shots for birds (BIF) are usually done over 1/1000s and aimed at freezing the action rather than emphasizing the motion. You did well indeed particularly the reflection.<br /> <br /> Got to pick up a couple of tricks and try that out<br /> <br /> Daniel </p>

<p>Sorry, I saw this only on 18 April. A week ago I took the picture of Mute Swans in the reedbeds of the Danube near the Black Sea. The circumstances were similar to those in which the picture of the Canada Geese was taken though the two adult swans had just made a commotion chasing each other. The next time they moved I took a picture with the exposure still at the 1/200 sec. set for the preceding picture of another group of swans where I had chosen aperture at f8 for DOF. There was simply no time to set the exposure; just enough to focus on one of the birds and shoot before they settled again. The result showed minimal underexposure (perhaps -0.3 EV) but considerable motion blur; the latter being removed to the extent possible with <em>smart sharpening </em> in PS. I think I understand just how Dave Hollander feels. Camera K200D Lens SMCP-M 80-200 f4.5 first version.</p><div>00T6UZ-126109584.JPG.c49e10e432db445eca3b46f355c12727.JPG</div>