Rafting, class III rapids, drybag, Nikon d80

lahuasteca

<p>I have only been on a raft a few times but lots of time in sailboats and kayaks (sea and white water). A dry bag would "likely" keep your equipment dry, as long as you don't want to use your camera. Every time you open it it will expose the folds to water and will eventually let moisture into the bag and your camera. If you want to keep your camera safe you need a pelican case. I would suggest a waterproof p&s or disposable for the possible cool images from the boat while on the water. <br>

A pelican case to carry your camera and all lenses are big and ackward to carry and you will hate it whenver you are not on the water. I would suggest one zoom or one prime in a pelican for some possible awesome shots in between landings. Maybe a dry bag to be able to shoot from and then drop the camera back in before the next set of rapids. If you want to carry more lenses maybe a set of two dry bags one inside the other to carry your lenses to the next landing zone for shooting. Make sure you strap all your bags and cases to the boat. </p>

<p>I apologize if I repeat anything on this post, as I'm kind of a johnny-come-lately. But I wanted to point out these three Photo.net articles:</p>

<p>Ewa Marine review (much like the aquapac):<br>

http://www.photo.net/equipment/ewa/<br>

Waterproof camera bags review:<br>

http://www.photo.net/equipment/bags/waterproof/<br>

Waterproof p&s (Pentax and Olympus):<br>

http://www.photo.net/equipment/point-and-shoot/underwater/pentax-w60-vs-olympus-1030sw</p>

<p>Finally, my personal opinion is that if you need serious protection, the drybag or Pelican cases are the best options. But they are very cumbersome to access when in the boat and annoying to carry. Talk to your guide and then make the most reasonable choice based on the estimated danger of a dunking. Then go get some camera insurance.</p>

<p>First, I want to thank everyone for the very informative responses. This really opened my eyes to (1.) how to protect the camera in the rapids and (2.) the definite need to take one - this is a once in a lifetime opportunity.<br>

Second, I already got my hands on a pelican case. Two cameras fit inside (1.) an FE2 film camera with a 24 mm lens and (2.) the D80 with either a 35 or 50 mm lens attached, or maybe even an 18-70 zoom (I prefer primes). During the rapids & such, everything stays in the case. But at the many stops, I'll have both cameras easily accessible. As indicated by many above, packing and unpacking the drybag would be both wet and time consuming. I gave a lot of consideration to the Olympus Stylus as mentioned above, but I think I need the wide angle and flexibility of the FE2, which I already own.<br>

Thanks again.</p>

<p>Gene Paull, Brownsville, TX</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I live in Costa Rica and have done several rapids myself (Reventazon, Savegre and Pacuare) and I can tell you that rafting AND taking pictures at the same time can prove quite difficult. Even having waterproof gear is no warranty against the ocasional smash in the rocks, and i can assure you that a pelican case catches quite some speed when dropped into the Savegre river. My advise would be:<br>

- Take your gear with you, but not more than a couple of lenses since there will be space on the raft for only a small fanny pack or maybe a medium shoulderbag.<br>

- Dont even think on changing lenses in the middle of the river.<br>

- MOST IMPORTANT: There should be a guide in your raft, make sure to let him know that you plan to take pictures and ask him for help letting you know wich parts of the river are safe for you to take your gear out. All rafters are bilingual and very helpful in this matter, and besides they know the best spots for interesting flora and fauna.<br>

Other random tips for Costa Rica:<br>

If you are going to Savegre make sure to stop by Manuel Antonio National Park wich is relatively close by and you will se probably the most beautiful beach with the rainforest running almost into the sea.<br>

It is pretty safe here, but while in San Jose, specially downtown or late at night, avoid walking around with your camera around your neck.<br>

If you feel like asking for help please do it. We are quite friendly and helpful people.<br>

Just one last thing: When somebody tells you "Buenos días" (Good morning) or "Buenas noches" (Good night) in the middle of the street make sure to reply something nice back (simple "Hello" will do it). It is amazing how many tourists dont have the courtesy of answering back when a perfect stranger greets them. That spontaneous friendliness is very common here, specially in the countryside.<br>

Have a great trip and feel free to email me at vmora@btc.cr for some nice photo spots here in Costa Rica.</p>

<p>Lowepro Dryzone will give you both protection and quick access for the stops and side trips. If there are stretches of quiet water you'll can also have quick access to your camera. Stow your gear when you are in fast moving water. You might want to consider a couple of zooms since with all primes you'll be changing lenses a lot in high humidity conditions. Also, for about $50/year you can get insurance coverage for about $3,000 worth of camera gear, be sure to tell your agent you are going out of country.</p>

<p>I am pretty experienced with the whitewater and cameras thing.</p>

<p>If you aren't going to have a water proof camera or a really cheap camera, then you really can only use it on the shore.</p>

<p>For getting it to the shore.<br /> Pelican case is great, but if you screw up and close it with something the gasket or latch it wrong, it will leak. For expensive gear, I put the camera stuff in a little dry bag and the dry bag in the pelican box or visa versa, put the pelican box in a big dry bag.</p>

<p>One thing I have done, although just for film slr's because they are somewhat expendable, is get a small flexible cooler (6 pack size). Take the hard plastic liner out. Wrap camera in towel and put in cooler. Put cooler in dry bag. A lot more protection against damage than just a dry bag.</p>

<p>edit: It may not come into play with CR's warm water and warm air, but you can get a lot of condensation. Buy some of the big desicatting bags and throw it in with the camera. Corragated (sp) cardboard that has been dried a little will work in a pinch.</p>

<p>And my experience has been that most of the water that gets on the camera dripped off of me, so be careful with that.</p>

<p>I took a river rafting trip down the grand canyon. 2 weeks in a 5 person raft. In the canyon there is typically a stretch of calm water between the rapids. After a rapid I took the camera out of a dry bag and took pictures. Just before the next rapid the camera went back into the dry bag. The camera never got wet. I was typically too busy bailling and hanging on in the rapids to concentrate on photography. During the rapids I would suggest using a waterproof point and shoot camera. During the trip no one in our group (about 20 people in 5 rafts) ended up in the river. Everyone got very wet. I have been on 3 different rafting trips and none were on self bailling rafts.</p>

<p>I would suggest contacting the company running the trip to find out how much calm water there is. Ask for specific recommendations and what other photographers have done. If it is mostly rapids a waterproof camera or camera case is probably the only way to go. However I suspect that there will be some calm water. If that is the case I would use a drybag to protect the SLR. Be sure to bring a clip so that the bag can be secured to the raft. An alternative to the drybag would be the Lowpro Dryzone camera backpack. It is the only one I know of that is water proof. I will probably get one for my next river trip.</p>

<p>Josh,<br>

Good informative article. I'm going to have to read it several times to ee which fits my situation. A friend lent me his Pelican, but it does seem a little clumsy to carry, and I'm afraid it might get launched on the rapids. Don't know if there will be room to tie it inside the raft.Perfect thing for me would be a waterproof beltpack, that I could wear, and not leak if we took a spill. Much of my photographing will be when we stop along the way. Did some Google Earth viewing - there are some impressive waterfalls on this route.<br>

Gene</p>

<p>Pelican or Sagebrush camera-dry?<br>

Hi!</p>

<p>If anyone is still following this thread I've narrowed it to two different options: pelican case (which I already have on long term loan) and Sagebrush large camera-dry bag as mentioned by Josh above:<br>

http://www.photo.net/photo/7856123<br>

<br /> I'm favoring the latter as space in the raft will be limited and I can wear it as a beltpack. I'm sure the pelican is better overall protection, but it is bulky and I'm worried about it being launched on a rapid or otherwise getting in the way. Camera for the raft is down to one - Nikon FE2, 24 mm and either 35 or 50 mm prime.<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p> </p>