Tiff to JPEG action in Photoshop

<p>I need to batch convert and downscale a folder full of 12x8 TIFFs into 6x4 JPEGS for minilab printing and also for uploading onto an online photobook. I have worked out that I need to record an Action to change the image mode from 16 bit to 8 bit and then resize to 6x4 at 300 ppi and then re-save as JPEGs into a new folder, but how do I set this to cater for both landscape and portrait formats? Can an Action in Photoshop sort out itself the landscape from portrait formats or do I first have to manually rotate and re-save each portrait image into landscape format? Any ideas appreciated. Philip</p>

<p>The best solution is probably a script, "Image Processor", found in both Photoshop and Adobe Bridge. You can select any set of images in Bridge, convert them to TIFF, JPEG or PSD, and save them in any directory. Best of all, you can specify the bit depth, color space and fit them into a box with a size specified in pixels.</p>

<p>Print dimensions have little meaning unless the software used to do the printing recognizes the size tags. However a 6x4 inch print at 300 ppi has the dimensions of 1800x1200 pixels. If you specify the "box" size as 1800x1800 pixels, the longest dimension of the image file will be trimmed, symmetrically, to 1800 pixels by whatever (typically 1200 pixels).</p>

<p>AFIK, there is no action to automatically orient images. However you can do this by writing a script, which can stand alone or be incorporated into an action. In general, "Image Processor" is sufficient as a practical solution.</p>

<p>Rob Wall has the best answer so far. We do a lot of this sort of thing in our bulk photographic scanning business. His suggestion may seem a little cumbersome, but it will provide you with a consistent result. Remember, when you print, the final orientation is how you hold the paper in your hands, so they should all be the same.<br>

HOWEVER . . . you can rotate after you have resized them. This can save time.<br>

The easiest way to get to the correct size (number of pixels) is to resize using percentage. This is what we do, as we set the orientation prior to any Photoshop batching (like you have done). Since it seems that all your files are the same size to start with, you can write a little batch job that simply reduces to the correct size (do this step first to save batch processing time). From your information, simply set resize to 25%, then set to 8 bit, then save as JPEG level 8 to your nominated folder. (We always use the same folders for all our outputs.) Once they are reduced in size, you can view them in Browse or Bridge in Photoshop and rotate so that all are in the same orientation.<br>

But just before you do the rotation, copy all to another folder! That way, you have retained one set with the correct rotation for uploading for the book.<br>

Hope this makes sense, and that you get an efficient result.</p>

<p>Otto at Oscans</p>