Contax 35mm change to 645

richard_quirk

<p>Hello all<br>

I've been using a Contax Aria with 50mm f1.4 pretty much glued to the camera for the past year (also have 28mm f2.8 & 85mm f2.8 which I use occasionally) and am looking to get a Contax 645 to replace it as my main camera but still carry the Aria along with me as it's pretty small & light, plus I really like that 50mm lens. I shoot handheld all the time, mainly wide-open up to f4 with medium speed film unless it night when I use tri-x or 400H. Basically what I want is the same kind of Zeiss look that I love but with a bigger negative - is the 645 going to work for me? I would be getting the 80mm lens to start with and if I liked the camera the 35mm, 120mm & 210mm lens and a 2nd body. Or should I just get another Contax 35mm camera and a few more good contax lens? <br>

In past two years I've been using a Leica M6 with zeiss 35mm lens (lovely lens and great combo for low light - going for sale plus 3 lens), a Mamiya 6 (with all 3 lens plus 2nd body - really like the negatives but just had a few issues with the camera - all going for sale), an old Fuji G690BL with 105mm AE lens (will still continue to use this) and Minolta AF & 85mm f1.4 (used for portrait work but will sell & replace with Contax 85mm f1.4 lens for the Aria).<br>

What are your experiences from moving up from Contax 35mm to 645? if I'm always shooting handheld, will the difference still be visible? From using 6x6 it does seem to be that way but I haven't been doing this for too long.<br>

btw, I'm not driven by absolute sharpness as you can tell by handheld use, interested more in the composition and what feelings the image conveys<br>

cheers<br>

Richard</p>

<p>The Contax 645 is a fantastic camera system. Easy to handhold (I'd recommend the battery grip, especially if you have larger hands.) The glass is great; I have every lens but the 45-90 zoom and the 45. On a tripod, it's significantly better---as is every camera---but it can be handheld nonetheless.<br>

Moving up from 35mm to 645, it's the incrtease in negative size more than the change in camera system that makes the difference. You simply have more negative to work with.<br>

I'd keep the Aria if $$ permits and simply add the Contax, if you like shooting both formats.<br>

The camera I use most these days, though, is the Mamiya 7 with 50, 80, and 150mm lenses. It is as good or better than the Contax in sharpness, is even easier to handhold, and does just about everything (except closeup portraiture) as well as the contax.</p>

<p>If you want the Zeiss look but with bigger negative then the Contax is definitely a good option (if you don't mind buying into a discontinued system, that is). Hasselblad V cameras and Rollei 6000 series cameras also use Zeiss lenses but they are all quite different to use. Best you check them all out in person first.</p>

<p>Richard,</p>

<p>I use both the Contax Aria and the Contax 645 system. In addition, I bought into the Contax N1 system with just 3 lenses: 50mm1.4, 24-85mm zoom, and 70-200mm zoom. In addition to the 3 lenses, I have the NAM-1 adapter that allows me to use all of my Contax 645 lenses on the Contax N1. The Zeiss glass has a very unique look and at this point I would not recommend you to get rid of the Aria. Although its value has held up very good, the Contax Yashica optics are very good for the money and are simply top notch.<br>

As others has pointed out, if you love the Zeiss look, then the Contax 645 is the way to go. You do have the option of buying into the Hasselblad and Rolleiflex, but it would not be as quick to pick up the learning curve as with the Contax 645. The Contax 645 is very similar in it metering approach as the Aria with the main exception of it being AF. You can use the Contax 645 in both MF and AF mode. Both will share the Contax TLA 360 flash and other along the lines of being TTL. I use the mentioned system if I want to maintain that Zeiss look. In addition, the Contax 645 with 3rd Party lens mount adapter, can use the Hasselblad V optics and the Pentacon 6 optics (Schneider lenses, CZJ, and Ukrainian lenses).To overcome the battery issue of the COntax 645, I use the MP-1 grip along with a Quantum Battery unit to power both the camera and the flash. This will extend your camera's usage.<br>

Michael mentioned the Mamiya 7 as a great Medium Format system. I agree with that and will say that it will not be a heavy in weight system to lug around.</p>

<p>Evan</p>

<p>Thanks for the comments, you've confirmed that I've got to give the 645 a try. I'll post back when I've found one and had a bit of time with it. There was quite a few available in the UK recently, at about £800, but all dried up now that I'm looking to buy.<br>

re the Mamiya 7, I've got a 6 and it is a nice camera. Handholdable, light enough, very quiet (except when I release the backcloth) and the 50mm is excellent. I just don't trust the meter (esp in AE when doing street stuff) and I'd like a portrait lens to work with. Maybe I'll keep the 6 to use for wider stuff and only sell the leica m6</p>

<p>Richard,</p>

<p>It sounds like you have some great equipment that I for one, would hate to sell, especially in this bad market. If possible, why don't you hold on to them until after you fully tested out the Contax 645 to see if its really for you?<br>

These are my thoughts:<br>

A 35mm rangefinder such as your Leica M6 with 3 lenses is just unbeatable in any 35 rangefinder category.<br>

The Mamiya 6, although you might have some issues, is anice & light system. Beside its a SQUARE!!<br>

With your Aria and its Zeiss optics, its light and have that Zeiss quality. Matted with the Contax 645, it would share the 360TTL flash and have the same Zeiss signature in their optics.<br>

Find you Contax 645 and test it out throughlty. Then when you are ready to part with something, then you can do it AFTER having test out the Contax 645. No regrets usig this method.<br>

God Luck,<br>

Evan</p>

<p>Evan, thanks for the extra comments. this week I've been going through a load of slides that are being sent to be scanned and I found that I preferred the contax aria shots (and some from the fujica gl690) to the mamiya 6 ones in just about every instance. I think it must be the zeiss look that gets me. The Mamiya shots were sharp and clear but it's going for sale soon - I got the two bodies and three lens all at reasonable individual prices so I should be able to make the same back on them. <br>

Seems to be a lot for the contax 645 on ebay, but little from the UK camera shops. In the meantime, I'm tempted to get another aria while they're cheap.</p>