50D or 400D

prasad_apte

<p>Hi guys<br>

yes! I know it's weird to ask to shoose frome the lens and the camera! But it is the question before me!<br>

I have 400D, 18-55 kit, 50mm f/1.8 and the canon 55-250. the problem is A. I am lacking zoom and<br>

B. I am not that satisfied with the performance of the 400D. That's why I am confused between what to choose first. If I'll go for 50D I will remain with the same lens collection I have even after spending all of my money.(it would be gon for 50D itself). And if I'll go for 100-400, I dont know that only this excellent L series lens will solve my problem of the quality of the image or not. On the one side there is the temptetion of getting new body and on one side I am getting the focal lenth I always want.<br>

please help me</p>

<p>What is it about the 400D that you are not satisfied with? I had the XTi version and was very pleased with the picture quality and the camera performance. I did switch to a 40D because in my use I found it easy to inadvertantly change settings on the XTi, but if not for that small problem I would still have it. Your lenses are OK but perhaps better glass would be your solution. Let us know exactly what you don't like about your camera body.</p>

<p>first thing is the sharpness! yes! its not giving the pinsharp results! I dont know it is the lenses I have or it is the body! someone also said that I dont have that sharp lenses in my bag also. May be I am expecting too much from the 400D.</p>

<p>You should be able to get sharp images with all of the lenses that you have. The 50mm f/1.8 in particular is <strong>very </strong> sharp between f/2.8 and f/8. I'm thinking that something else is going on, and I'm afraid that if you move to the 50D without figuring it out, you may be disappointed. Of course, it would be nice to get the extra resolution if you print big. When you are noticing that lack of pinsharpness, how large are the prints that you are viewing?</p>

<p>Your camera is certainly capable of delivering sharp results as should your 50mm lens, your 18-55 and 55-250 are not the sharpest lenses in Canons line.....however, they are not bad lenses. Perhaps you should look at your techniques, settings, etc. for your answers. My XTi delivered very nice pictures, yours should also. Remember that the camera is only a tool, you need to know how to use it fully before deciding its not good enough for you. Just purchasing new equipment is not going to make you a better photographer.</p><div>00T2Gd-124003684.thumb.jpg.cacfebb0bdb3014212fd63ad24188549.jpg</div>

<p>I actually have both a 50D and XTi (400D). I can't say the 50D has generally better IQ, but it is a much better camera in terms of viewfinder (bigger/brighter), control surfaces (QCD/less things buried in menus), build (metal), hand-feel (XTi too small), high ISO and AF speed and accuracy. Oh, and it blazes at 6FPS.</p>

<p>Probably the most 50D significant advantage over the XTi is the vastly improved AF as this results in more keepers. My 50D (& old 40D) almost never missed focus in any light. The XTi is fine in good light but misses regularly indoors and in low light. Also, 50D ambient and flash metering is more consistent and does better in tricky situations. I really need to ride EC and FEC on the XTi whereas I hardly touch them on my 50D. Unfortunately FEC is buried in the XTi menus. Finally, the XTi grip is too small--narrow where it contacts my knuckles--and digs into my fingers with extended use. The round contoured grip of the 50D is comfy for hours.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Puppy,<br>

While I can relate to what you are saying about the 2 cameras in question as I've gone from the XTi to a 40D, I don't think the OP's problems lie with the camera. The XTi is a very fine, capable camera that shouldn't have a blanket statement of "its not sharp" attached to it. The newer D series cameras are better but not by much. My XTi was a workhorse in a very tough race track envoirment and gave me hundreds of quality shots at every event. As an everyday point and shoot type camera it never failed to give excellent results. With my Tamron 17-50 2.8 it was terrific indoors. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't go back to it from my 40D but it's a great camera, I'm actually thinking about adding another as a backup body.</p>

<p>You have a problem with sharpness and the XTi? Until you sort that out you could spend a lot of money for little gain. As forgetting a 100-400</p>

<p>l</p>

<p>Unti you sort out your sharpness problen you could spend a lot of money for little or no gain. If you can't get sharpness with the 50 1.8 you certainly won't get it with the 100-400. The 50D isn't that much (any?) sharper than the 400D. Look through past posts to do with sharpness in this forum, that may help solve your problem, but I'd start with shutter speed first and focus issues second.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>As a user and abuser of both these cameras, I can say you shouldn't have any problem with sharpness on the XTi you won't have on the 50D. I've never had a problem with sharpness that WASN't due to lens choice, or use. <br>

You should expect soft images from an 18-55mk2 (non-IS) (especially @ 18 or 55mm) as came w/ my XTi, you should expect soft edges and contrast bleed from the 50/1.8 @ f1.8-2.2. Maybe a good lens would fix it maybe not.<br>

As the others have suggested I would think there might be something wrong with your camera. have you cleaned the sensor?</p>

<p>Even my six year old daughter (who uses the XTi more than I do these days) produces reasonable images.</p>