Question on D700 "my menu"

eric_chiu2

<p>Just successfully switch from my 20-years Canon experience to Nikon. I don't understand why every controls, turns... have to be revese between Canon and Nikon. Really need sometime to get used to.<br>

Anyway, I am not starting a topic about differents between them. I have a question on setup of "my menu" in the D700. The first thing I put into "My Menu" is the Auto ISO setting. So that I could turn it on and off as I want to. The second big thing that I want to put into "My Menu" is the min. shutter speed for Auto ISO because for difference angle lens I use, I want to have a different setting. e.g for wide angle, I could have the min. shutter speed at 1/30 or slower, but with tele lens, I want it at least 1/90 or higher. But somehow my D700 won't let me to put the min. shutter speed control into "My Menu". Why is that? Is there anyway that I could do to put that in? To access that without "My Menu" need to go into Menu/shooting/ISO setting/min. shutter speed/..... so many steps.<br>

If anybody know how, please let me know. Thanks.</p>

<p>I dont think you can, as far as im aware the shutter speed is set with the auto iso regarless of what lens you use, I may be wrong as I never use auto iso on my D3 though I did try it once just to see how it worked, personally I like to have control over what its doing so auto is never used.</p>

<p>Assuming you cannot add those items to MY MENU, I believe what you can do to resolve your issue is to set up the individual memory banks the way you want them so they have your settings in them for each lens (one memory bank per set of settings).</p>

<p>That is one of the reasons I gave up on auto-ISO. One option on my D90 that your D700 may share is the ability to turn on "quick-ISO," which makes the inactive control dial for a given PASM mode adjust the ISO. That makes manual adjustment quicker than having to find the ISO button. This may help.<br /> <br /> I believe Nikon's logic would be that you can put most menu items on the "My Menu" list but not sub-settings. So you can turn auto-ISO on or off but can not directly change an auto-ISO sub-setting such as minimum shutter speed.</p>

<p>Also the way auto-ISO works with manual mode, and with flash at some settings, is not very well thought out in my opinion, and I found I would often leave it on and be unaware when it was bumping up ISO, when conditions had changed such that I would have preferred to change another parameter - maybe my aperture setting when in A mode, or so on. I find that for me it makes more sense to set ISO manually.</p>

<p>By the way, I also find Nikon's dial directions to be backwards, and I have never used Canon. It just seems like you should turn to the right to increase exposure, not to the left. Fortunately you can reverse the direction of these dials and I have done that.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>This is one thing that drives me mad about the auto iso on the D700. Every time I change lenses I need to dive deep into the menu. One better would be to be able to set 1/focal length (maybe with + and - adjustment too) so we would even have to change anything in the first place - how hard can that possibly be for them to do when the camera knows which lens is mounted!?<br /> <br /> It would be nice if the people that designed these cameras actually <em>used </em> them since time after time the user community will almost unanimously come up with the same criticisms.<br /> <br /> At least with nikon we have easily accessed mirror lockup unlike canon who's pro cameras still have a "direct to print" button and no mlu button or way to custom map it...</p>

<p>I use Auto ISO all the time, it saved me a bunch of work while traveling and moving from indoors to outdoors. <br /> The way to circumvent this is to just switch to Manual mode (out of Aperture Priority in my case). Auto ISO still works in Manual you just manually set the min shutter speed you want and go from there.<br /> I set my min shutter speed on my D700 to 1/60 most of the time unless I am shooting wide indoors and then I bump it down a bit by just throwing it into Manual mode.</p>

<p>Thanks Dave, I will try that to see how good it works that way. Better than go all the way back to menu to look for that. <br>

I personally like the auto ISO idea, which only good in a camera that give a wide range of low noise ISO performance. Now I set the min. speed to 1/60. Its always ok for wide and usually acceptable with my 70-200mm VR. But I will be happier if I have more control with it. Thanks.</p>

<p>Mark, yeah I know what you mean, I guess I never switch to manual mode unless I'm in a super low light situation, or if I'm in a situation where I want to shoot at a higher shutter speed than 1/125, so it wouldn't be at 200 anyway.<br>

The more I use the D200, and realize how much it is missing in every area, the more I realize how great the D700 really is...</p>

<p>Dave, I found the way you mention doesn't work. I thought you mean after I switch to manual mode and change the shutter setting, it become the min. shutter speed even I switch back to other mode. But it doesn't do that. I think you mean just set a speed in manual mode with auto ISO, so that I could only control the apeture. However, this way is worst. That means I have no control over the exposure compensation because the auto ISO will jump to whatever the camera think its the right exposure.<br>

I will try the memory bank to see how it work... Thanks though.</p>

<p>Call me old-fashioned but bear in mind that I use computers (and many) to control all sorts of instruments. Still I use only few of the features the camera can offer. A lot of the complex function I just ignore and use manual or A mode. My little bio-computer can deal with odd situations faster than to remember the last changes in firmware or the specific camera model :-P<br>

I even go as far as using manual focus from time to time when the occasion calls for it. Just don't mention it to Nikon^^ :-)<br>

I think practicing manual mode is better use of my time than practicing menu jumping^^. Your preferences may be different.</p>

<p> </p>