Leica "Jumps the shark" with this...

larry d.

<p>White is a good color for camera equipment because it reflects light and hence minimizes heat from sunlight. That's why big Canon lenses are white or light grey. A white camera could help keep the film inside from getting too hot. Well, maybe not, but it can't hurt.</p>

<p>You guys just don't get it do you. No imagination. Think what a great street tool the "white nemo" could be? You on a bright spring day in Hollywood, you are on the street in a white Le May[sp] jumpsuit, broad white, pimp hat and a flamboyant large whit boa. Now in the middle of this "camouflage" is the white shark as you come out of the sun, no one will ever see the camera! It's perfect. Martin Parr will have several of these. I can't believe you don't trust the experience of Leica implicitly to not realize, this is a valuable tool, created by committee with street photography input.</p>

<p>Let us all show patience, and wait to see what Erwin Putts has to say about this Leica experience, then we will know better how to feel about it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I really thought that the "re-introdction" of the MP would be a longer-lasting success. Great camera! That, matched with the M7, should have been a larger boost. At least movies are still shot on film. When that goes, so do I...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, they are increasingly shooting movies on digital. Let' s face it, film is dying. At cost per image, it's a no-win situation. It will increasingly become a more expensive boutique item as the volume of film sold decreases. For 'economy of scale' it's going in the wrong direction. Eventually, the only people that will be able to afford it will be the same people that can afford Leicas.</p>

<p>i wonder what's making leica put these editions out. first it was the safari one, now it's a white paint one. from what i understand, leica religiously checks internet forums where leica users discuss features, revisions and upgrades that they want leica cameras to have... maybe someone out there suggested these versions?</p>

<p>Funny that a minor change in shade should make so much difference in perception. Nobody would notice an all-black Leica. But an all-white one? It is a bit much, though, like an all-white grand piano with gold accents, the veritable apotheosis of suburban elegance.</p>

<p>My, what witty responses....Leica recognizes they have different types customers. There are users and collectors. They produce products for both markets - in this case, it's a collector camera - and the problem with that is...? They're looking for methods to generate cash flow - and cash flow can't be a bad thing for a company. <br>

I'd like to see them have the ability to finish both the S2 and R10 projects. If white cameras help them do that - fine with me.</p>

<p>"My, what witty responses....Leica recognizes they have different types customers. There are users and collectors. They produce products for both markets - in this case, it's a collector camera - and the problem with that is...? They're looking for methods to generate cash flow - and cash flow can't be a bad thing for a company. <br /> I'd like to see them have the ability to finish both the S2 and R10 projects. If white cameras help them do that - fine with me."<br>

I think the problem folks have is that the collector route seems so out of touch with what the value of the M system is to many photographers... I for one, spent 15 years on M's and built up a sizeably kit. I sold my m8 and the rest of my leica gear as i don't see leica returning to the "bombproof" and "capable" mantra with their digital cameras anytime soon.</p>