Customizing the start-up focal length on Canon G10 and Panasonic DMC-LX3

I have seen a report somewhere suggesting that the start-up focal length of the zoom lens can be customized on Canon's Powershot G10. I imagine it would be done by "saving" the zoom position along with other settings to one of the "C" modes on the program dial. Is this correct? I can't find the information again. Does Panasonic's DMC-LX3 have the same feature? Did Canon's G9 have it? It would be great to mount an nice external 35 or 50mm viewfinder and have the camera start exactly there.

This is a point in favor of the G10. Does "C" mode involve the same start-up time as normal mode?

Usually in an emergency situation I know whether wide or telephoto is appropriate, but it would be nice to always start in the middle. Some Ricoh models do that.

<p>Canon should offer this camera with choices of prime focal length L lenses and built-in bright frame fixed focal length viewfinders...would be optically better than zoom and they could sell some of us two or three versions...would kill Leica dead, except among orthodontists.</p>

<p>I asked about this on the panasonic forum at DPreview sometime ago, and apparently not only will the LX3 not save a focal length but it returns to 24mm form where you've got it even, after reviewing photos. For myself that was a tremendous oversight as I prefer a 50mm lens and wanted a compact that can default to that on startup. This is one of the reasons I went with the Ricoh GX200, which will save the focal length as well as a manual focus point in each of 3 custom settings memories. I didn't know the G10 had this capability and would have given it a harder look for sure. That said, you might want to consider checking out the GX200, or GX100(prior model available used).</p>