Selling prints versus selling CD of high-res images

<p>This is a 'business model' question for portrait work that I'm about to begin.<br /> My work will be 100% black and white.<br>

My original plan was to charge a sitting fee, then to offer online proofing from which members of the family would purchase prints online.<br>

But I see that many portrait photographers charge the sitting fee and then sell the client a CD with a few high-res files from which the family can print what they want. <br>

This second CD option might have a liberating simplicity by not having to personally handle/traffic multiple transactions of individual prints.<br>

If I did do the prints, they would be printed and fulfilled from Millers lab.<br /> The orders will be taken through a Smugmug account with shopping cart.<br>

I will work in New York City. I feel starting off with a $175 sitting fee is fair. <br /> I would estimate profits from print sales to be approx. $25-$35 per print (8X10 - 11X14").<br>

If I charged $75-$100 additional for the CD, I think things would average out with the advantage of devoting more time to building the business rather than selling prints.<br>

Is my thinking and comparing on the right track?<br /> Is my proposed $175 sitting fee too high, too low or just right?<br /> If I pursued the CD route, what would a fair price be?<br>

Thanks, Bob</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Bob -</p>

<p>I don't work in NYC - So I can't comment on the rates - check out the competitor's websites and see what they are charging. Don't call them pretending to be prospective client though - nothing like annoying people.</p>

<p>The business model that you're considering has become more popular especially since more people are balking at the price photographers charge for their prints. People in general fail to realize that the cost of a print from a photographer is more than the price of ink and paper to create, but also a reflection of time to get the image right, do any touchup, color balancing, etc... There's a lot of effort that goes into a good print. Whereas the lab print for $.06 to 1.25 is just print, print, print. No adjustments, No or minimal Quality Control, and no retouch.</p>

<p>Only you and your clients can determine a fair price for your CD's. Keep in mind that once the CD is gone out the door - the chances of you getting an order drop significantly. However there are some who want the cd only as an archival of the event, and will still order significant amounts of prints from you!</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Get Mitche Graf's book on marketing.<br>

I would recommend getting comfortable with having larger prints produced- 16x20 and up. You can sell these at a better margin. An 8x10 is nothing these days.<br>

"You sell what you show."<br>

Get a sample 20x24 canvas wrap- cheaper than framed, still impressive.</p>

<p>What about salesmanship. It seems like you're looking for the easiest way to make the sale.<br>

What about meeting with your client face to face? Let them purchase based on emotion. Either of your scenarios have them purchasing on their own with their checkbook being the deciding factor.<br>

Project the images into frames and "wow" them. You can make lots more money selling than shooting. Do you have any idea how much money there is in framing? Your clients will be purchasing that frame from someone, so why not you?<br>

If you're not comfortable with this, then hire someone on some type of commission basis and have them sell your work.<br>

If you're going to sit back and download your print orders from online posting, you're going to be doing a lot of sitting and waiting with very disappointing results...-Aimee</p>

<p>All good input Aimee, but I have no problem selling. I'll do that to get the initial portrait session. And sitting back is not my style, that's one of the attractions to pitching the sitting fee and print sales and/or CD. I have a pretty specific business plan that would generate several print sales immediately after the session or an equivalent amount of profit from a single sale of the CD. My business model will be more successful by increasing the number of sessions, not print or frame sales after it. <br /> But I do appreciate your ideas and direction.<br /> This is all such a help to me.<br>

Thanks, Bob</p>

<p>The one issue that far too many photographers fail to take into account when considering this option is that of indirect marketing.<br>

Consider the following: you spend a small fortune on cameras, lenses, lighting, backgrounds, and know-how. You take the photos, optimize them on your computer system using (hopefully) a fully colour managed workflow with a calibrated and profiled monitor.<br>

You then supply the images on disc in an appropriate colour space. The client looks at these images on a cheap computer with a cheap monitor that is almost certainly NOT calibrated and profiled. They then print the pictures after fiddling with them (probably without sharpening appropriately for the output size) on cheap paper from a cheap printer with cheap compatible inks. Those "prints" then get passed around as examples of "your" work. What does it do for your reputation with potential future clients?<br>

The point is, passing out CDs can affect future income - not just the income from the job in question.</p>

<p>Why not use film, hand print on fibre papers and charge accordingly? Film and hand done work is becoming a niche market and can go for a lot more then the 'everyone does it' digital work turned out by so many hacks with a camera.<br>

Use an 11x14 view camera and make hand done platinum/palladium prints and cater to an upscale market that appreciates fine craftsmanship and talent. Fewer sittings for much higher fees and returns and each print is one of a kind original work.</p>

<p>Paulie,<br>

That's an interesting idea and one that I appreciate completely. Since I work only with a black and white final output, film has a steep attraction.<br /> <br /> However, my business model involves taking a lightweight, single strobe unit, with umbrellas, and travel throughout the New York City mass transit system so I can have the sitting in the persons own home.<br>

And Michael, I appreciate your input also. And of course, having prints made out of my quality control does bother me enough to offer both options.<br>

Thanks again all for your valuable and much appreciated ideas.</p>

<p>Bob:<br>

Also consider that any prints the customers make reflect on your work. This can (rarely) be good but in most cases quite horrible since most people are clueless when it comes to printing photos on their el cheapo Lexmark etc. For that reason, especially if you want to have mouth-to-mouth referrals, making your own prints is far better because then you can control the process and make sure everything that goes out the door is of professional quality.</p>

<p>Bob, for your model I'd want to produce fine B&W prints. I don't know how Millers does it, but from <a href="http://www.hhcolorlab.com">www.hhcolorlab.com</a> they offer "Authentic B&W printing" on B&W paper not color paper. As for selling JPGs, I'd consider selling only 800x600 so you can produce the quality of printing. That is big enought for Facebook or other electronic display, but not more than 5x7 prints.</p>

<p>You can easily do both. We give a high-res disc with every wedding package for our clients an we still do just fine on print sales. 9/10 times the client just wants the disc for piece of mind but knows the highest quality prints come from us, along with our touch up work. As long as you show the client the value in ordering prints from you you'll be just fine, just make sure you include the cost of the disc in your package equal to what you would normally make on print sales. This makes income more consistent and extra print sales are simply icing on the cake, so to speak.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>This is my first post and I just give you my 2 cents. My wife and I have done weddings for three years, not long. We have been somewhat successful with this approach. As part of the package, we give 600+ high res photos on a DVD with all copyrights given. When we visit with our finished work we have with us large prints of finished work from our past wdddings. We also have examples of prints from the disk, 4x5 untouched. We explain to them what a professional print looks like compared to a print from your home or a print of CVS. Usually, they like to have a few of the exceptional prints, printed by us. Just an idea.</p>