Argus C3 35mm f4.5 Wide Angle

<p>Hello All!<br /> I hope you don't mind that I'm posting this here as opposed to the Leica/Rangefinder forum. It's like dragging a skunk to a debutante ball... but anyways, this Argus C3 is classic and you can't get any more manual(one step more than most SLRs since you have to cock the shutter separately!).</p>

<p>So here's my Argus C3, the older version because it doesn't have a cold shoe. With a 35mm f4.5 Enna-Werk Munchen lens, that was very easy to switch out, and Argus viewfinder. For 35mm you move the metal plate up on top of the viewfinder, for 100mm you flip the metal plate down and peep through the hole. For film I used Fujicolor Press 400. Oh and a GE lightmeter from the same era I think.</p>

<p>The pictures had a dreamy ephemeral look to them. There's shmutz on the aperture blades.</p><div>00T0qq-123293984.JPG.6b781b2063c001d0ef7e8e88d3e47a75.JPG</div>

<p>Thanks Stuart and Kozma!</p>

<p>It's not too awkward, my major issue is that my finger gets in front of the shutter cocker (the black nibby lever on the front) whenever I push the shutter release. But I've learned to position my hand differently. I've never opened one up cause mine have yet to fail, but I've heard tales that much like the older AK-47s there's actually a piece of taut yarn that works the whole thing!</p>

<p>Very nice, I've never got any of the lenses other than the one it came with.</p>

<p>The shutter cock can be loosened and retightened to change its angle, which helps make it less awkward.</p>

<p>I think that the AK-47 story is just a yarn. ;)</p>

<p>There's lots of information about C-3 "bricks" at the Argus Collectors Group here http://arguscg.tripod.com/</p>

<p>I have an everready case for my C-3 that rounds off the ends and makes the camera easier to handle, but my finger occasionally gets in the way of the cocking lever too.</p>

<p>I have C-3 pictures in my portfolio here on PN.</p>

<p><Chas><br /></p>

<p>I modified the position of the cocking lever on my early C-3 too as I'm rather ham-handed and I've had plenty of shots ruined because of it.<br>

I've also done the quadruple-exposure-fun thing a few times ;)<br>

You need a well-practiced routine with these cameras and the my problem is that I don't practice enough.</p>

<p>Although I always think the Argus looks a bit like it should be able to receive AM radio as well as take pictures, those are some nice shots.</p>

<p>Some people pay good money for that "shmutz on the aperture blades" effect.</p>

<p>Thanks all for the comments and tips.</p>

<p>I'll mess around with the cocking lever. I don't mind the heft of it though, I prefer heavier cameras.<br>

I've got a 100mm telephoto lens for it too so I think I'll give that one a go next.<br>

Louis, that's a cool specimen, like all your other goodies. It's got more speeds than my version but your rangefinding gear is internal.</p>

<p>Rick, I had issues with blank frames on the roll cause of my routine, I'd forget when I had advanced the film so I'd advance it twice. But like you said, with a routine you won't have any problems.</p>

<p>Steve, I wouldn't want to ruin my sweet art-deco lines! ;)</p>

<p>Derek, yes.</p>

<p>Thanks again all!</p>

<p>Another YES to Derek. The early Argus 35mm like Derek's (I guess it's a A2F) are really pretty close to the A model of 1936. There's even a website for them (<a href="http://theargusa.com/">link</a> ). The Cameraquest site (<a href="http://www.cameraquest.com/arg2.htm">link</a> ) puts it in exaggerated terms, but I think it's right that a lot more of the popularity of 35mm cameras, certainly for the masses, was owed to Argus than to Leica, however important the Leicas were historically.</p>

<p>When I started in serious photography with my brand new Heiland Pentax H2, a lot of my older friends were still shooting C-3s, so many years later when I discovered them on eBay I couldn't resist trying one, especially considering their price and ruggedness.</p>

<p>I just <em>have</em> to find some of the other lenses.</p>

<p>I've got a Honeywell Pentax H3V that the film winding lever is jammed up on and the cloth shutter is loose. I've read that all it needs is a CLA but I've seen other sites that state it needs a complete shutter overhaul...<br>

As for the lenses I think the 100mm are more common than the 35mm. I got both of mine at the same time though off of the bay. Walter Degroot sent me an email telling me about a screw and spring kit one could buy to make lens changing easier, where instead of removing the coupler gear you replaced the screw with a washer and spring and you just lifted it up and it would uncouple and you could then unscrew the lens.</p>

<p>A good site for info on changing the lenses:<br>

http://whitemetal.com/argus/c3_tele-sandmar_100_4.5/index.htm</p>

<p>Hi: I am very excited, this is my first time ever on a forum site of any kind. I just started using my Dad's C3 that he bought in Korea in 1948 while in the Navy. I just took my first roll of 35mm 200 speed Fuji film, I had no idea what I was doing ;so, I fooled around with the focusing and Fstops...this is my first time using a manual camera of any kind. I remember how beautiful my Dad's pictures looked, so thick with color and depth; especially his photos at Niagara Falls with my mom (married 55 years this year). So here are some shots of my backyard...Spring in NJ. -- Gigi</p><div>00T2Mt-124055584.thumb.jpg.19801bbfad2ce4ff50e92607c441d728.jpg</div>