Raw & Windows XP Pro 64 bit

<p>I have just spent $1000 on an awesome new computer. I chose Windows XP Pro <strong>64</strong> as my OS. I am now finding that I can't open RAW files in CS3 from my Canon 50D. I was able to open RAW files using my other computer which was running Vista Home Premium 32 bit. I have downloaded the Canon RAW codec 1.4.1 but it gives me an error mssg & won't let me run it....I have also downloaded plug ins for CS3...anyway, does anyone know if Windows XP pro <strong>64</strong> is compatible with opening RAW files from A canon 50D. I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thank u.</p>

<p>64-bit Windows XP was an abortion time would like to forget. You'll run into this problem often and repeatedly—because XP 64 was never released for public consumption (it was only released to manufacturers, and even then with dire warnings to users), almost nobody supports it.<br>

<br /> If you need 64-bit and want things to work and be supported, it's Vista or bust.</p>

<p>Hi Abner,<br>

I use 64 Bit XP Pro - find it quite nice. I also have CS3; girlfriend had 40D - we both can open raw files in CS3. Perhaps CS3 does not support Raw for the 50D? I know it does not support the 5DII which I also have (I use Lightroom for that or the Canon software). Anyway, I have not checked to see if CS3 "should" open 50D files - since I don't own a 50D. However, I don't think it is the OS (Windows XP 64 Pro) that is the problem...</p>

<p>I like XP x64. If you're careful about your hardware purchases it's a very nice, lean, and sprightly platform without some of the bloated effects of Vista.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>almost nobody supports it</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Can you 'support' that statement? Beside a little x64 work around for the Canon driver, my system including the Epson 2880 driver works fine.</p>

<p>All 32 bit programs work, and CS4 installs both versions so you can use your 32 bit plug-ins.</p>

<p>Now when 64 bit Windows 7 comes out...</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Photoshop doesn't depend on a WIC codec for RAW support. You will most likely need to update ACR.<br />Our 64 bit RAW codecs support XP Pro 64, and unlike Canon's or Nikon's ours generate correctly rotated thumbnails on XP Pro 64.<br />A free 15 day trial is available if you are interested.<br>

<br /><a href="http://www.ardfry.com/">http://www.ardfry.com/</a><br>

<br />David Blake<br />Ardfry Imaging, LLC</p>