Canon 5D Compatibility?

mimi_miranda

<p>If you use Tamron/Tokina/Sigma lenses, you will find that lenses with the following designators are only covering the reduced image circle:</p>

<p>Tamron: "DiII" ... Sigma: "DC" ... Tokina: "DX" ... these lenses will physically fit the 5D (unlike the EF-S) but you'll see extreme vignetting.</p>

<p>If your Canon lenses are <em>not EF-S lenses</em> they should work on the 5D. (EF-S lenses are designed to work only on the Canon 1.6x cropped sensor bodies like your 30D.) The flash should work.</p>

<p>I don't know if the batteries are the same or not. The 5D uses the BP111A batteries. (Hope I have that number right from memory.)</p>

<p>CS3 will work fine with 5D files.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>To my knowledge ... the batteries should fit and work ... I use batteries from my old 300D in my 5D (MkI) ... and those batteries did also fit into a 20D (never tried in a 30D, but I'm nearly sure the 20D and 30D had the same batterie).</p>

<p>The 430EX works even better with the 5D than newer cameras. All the onboard options are available on my 5D. Oddly some of them are grayed out on my 50D. Of course the 430EX was released with the 5D in Fall 2005...</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Ken<br>

Maybe you did not read my Q correctly. <br>

Because of this posting I learned that my 28-135 EF lens is not compatible with the 5D which is a huge factor when it comes to the decision making.<br>

All answers received are highly appreciated and are good enough... I did not know that it would bother someone if I posted a different Q that is related to another I previously posted.</p>

<p>Who told you your EF 28-135 is not compatible with the 5D? This is not true. The EF 28-135 IS works fine with the 5D.<br>

Just to be clear, the Canon lenses that <strong>do not work</strong> with the 5D are the EF-S 18-55 and the IS version, the EF-S 10-22, the EF-S 17-85 IS, the EF-S 60 macro, the EF-S 18-200, and the EF-S 55-250 IS. I think that covers them all.</p>

<p>G`day Ruby, I have all the same items, and all are usable both bodies, the BP511 batteries as well, I still use the dual charger from the D30, and you`ll find that your lens range havin 30d & 5d extended. You ask mainly for advise in your 1st post, and accepted the good answers, this is a post for further assurance and quite understandable. enjoy the 5d experience when it happens..:)</p>

<p>JDM's comment on the 5D Mark ii battery is correct. It is not compatible with 5d, 40D, 50D, etc. And if you're thinking of buying this camera (the Mark ii) and want a spare battery, be prepared to shell out over $100 on eBay. They are almost never in stock at B&H, Adorama, and Amazon at the "normal" price.</p>