Getting the film to the lab

DWScott

<p>I'm getting ready to expose my first 4x5 film! But I'd like to know what the accepted film handling practise is, especially for giving film to the lab for processing. (I will process my own B&W, but would like to use the lab for E6 color.)<br>

I assume when I buy my first box of film, I should ask for a spare box/envelope that I can use to return my film for processing? Is there a way that labs like to see film arrive? (i.e. packing, labelling, etc.)<br>

As I'm starting with one or two film holders, I won't likely blow through a box of film anytime soon. How should I handle small numbers of sheets? Will a lab take one, two, three, five sheets of film?<br>

Sorry for the boneheaded questions. The process is pretty obvious for roll film, and I learned how to handle exposed motion picture film in film school. But sheet film seems like a different beast... Any help is appreciated.<br>

Dave</p>

<p>Well, if you've been doing it long enough, you have more boxes than you know what to do with. I also use a lot of Quickload, but also boxes, and I always ask for them back. Sometimes the lab will have a solution for you if you don't have enough boxes yet. And yes, labs routinely handle one to several sheets of film. You should tell them how many you are sending. I mark my boxes clearly with the type of process (almost always E-6 in my case). I also tape the top and bottom edges (short side of the box). Don't be too worried. I'm sure they've seen it all.</p>

<p>Why not find a lab in your area ( I assume you are talking about mailing the film) and take the film holder in. They will unload the film then when you pick them up you get the FH back. I would not trust the P.O. with handling sheet film. The way I receive mail here at work, ripped open envelopes, boxes broken, even if you had light proff bags by the time the P.O. got through with them they would not be light tight any more.</p>

<p>I typically get E-6 films in boxes of ten sheets. They are loaded into five film holders and I shoot them. Later, the ten sheets go back into the internal packing and it all goes into the tripple box it came in. A little tape keeps it all closed and a note to the lab is taped to the box; contact info, the content of the boxand processing instructions etc. I use a changing bag.</p>

<p>I generally do all my own processing but use DR5 for some projects. The first time I used them I sent my film (HP5+) in the triple film box with an inner envelope, (any unexposed film when into another box). I then asked them for empty 4x5 boxes when they returned my processed film. They sent me 4 or 5. Most places that process 4x5 will have empty boxes.</p>

<p>I usually do most of my own processing, but sometimes I drop the film off at a lab (when I'm not up to dealing with E6). When I do, I keep them in their holders, and my film shop tags the sheets to correspond to the film holder number. That way, any pertinent data recorded against a holder number is preserved and transferred to the negative envelope.<br>

You could also ask your film processor if they have spare boxes. I'll bet they'll have some around. And, as another poster commented, before you know it, you'll be up to your ears in empties!</p>

<p>If you don't have an extra box for the exposed film, ask the lab if they have extras. Years ago they always had extra boxes, but these days as fewer people shoot film, they might not have as many boxes on hand. Here's an alternate solution.</p>

<p>If you have an extra box of UNOPENED film lying around, you can open that box and remove the SEALED packet(s) of film. As long as you NEVER open the packet in daylight, the fresh film inside will be safe. Put your exposed film into the now empty box being careful to close the nested lids in their original order and direction. If you don't close the box correctly, light can leak in and ruin your exposed film.</p>

<p>When the packet of film in your current box runs out, retrieve the sealed packet that you removed from the second box, put it in your changing bag (or darkroom) and load from that one. Once the packet is opened, you MUST store it in a sealed box.</p>

<p>Never MIX film in any one box. Don't mix normal exposures with pushed or pulled exposure unless you're going to process all of them the same way. Don't mix print film with slide film (doh!). Don't mix black and white film with color film (double-doh!). The lab isn't going to be able to tell which sheets are which. One time I put normal and pushed sheets into the same box with a paper divider in between. The lab refused to accept my order until I separated the two sections into separate boxes. They were kind enough to furnish a darkroom and an extra box.</p>

<p>ALWAYS LABEL YOUR BOX IMMEDIATELY. How many sheets did you just add? On what date? What process (E-6, C41, B&W)? Normal, pushed (how much) or pulled (how much)? Don't imagine that you're going to remember. You're NOT! I use Post-It notes. They make an "extra-sticky" version of Post-Its these days that are perfect for labeling film boxes.</p>

<p>Taping the box is a good idea when you're getting ready to send/take the film to the lab, but three rubber bands will work well, too, and you won't have to deal with sticky tape every time you open the box to add more exposed sheets.</p>

<p>I don't like to give my holders to the lab, because the guy who unloads the holders always seems to have chicken grease on his fingers. Most labs have a small darkroom for customers, and they'll let you unload your holders into your box or boxes right there.</p>

<p>I use a small changing bag for all film loading and unloading. It's very portable and it's never leaked even when loading holders in the back seat of a car in the middle of a sunny afternoon. (HOT!)</p>

<p>Oh, and by way: Quickloads are for weenies! (Well, not really, but it was a lot of fun to say so! LOL) Loading and unloading film is a REAL pain at first but it gets easier with practice. A LOT of practice. The problem is that it takes a bit of time. When time is of the essence, Quickloads are a better option - albeit a more expensive one - if you can get by with the selection of films offered in this format.</p>

<p>Good luck! You're going to have a LOT of fun!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Wow, lots of great information. It's interesting that labs will accept film holders -- that was one of my questions, I thought if I show up at the lab with the holders they'll laugh/refuse! It seemed too much like the little old lady who takes her whole camera in to the store to have the film rewound, unloaded, processed, and the camera returned to her loaded with a fresh roll of film!<br>

The convenience of quickloads is very appealing. Do you really have to use the special Fuji holders? I am getting into LF as CHEAPLY as possible, and even regular film holders seem expensive. The thought of spending $150+ US just to put film into my $20 camera with a $7 lens.... seems counterintuitive. Is there any workaround to use quickload in a regular film holder? I know it's a bit of false economy because the film is more expensive, but I like the idea of using one $30 holder with a stack of quickloads.</p>

<p>I really like the idea of bringing my camera in w/ film and walking out w/ fresh film in it!</p>

<p>Having a local lab that will develop 4x5 is contributing to my laxness in getting my darkroom together, along w/ my usual desire to go the easiest route possible. Not knowing what to do either, I just wrapped my film holders in a black garbage bag tied off w/ a rubber band (to keep curious staff from pulling out the dark slides) and dropped them off to my lab a few days ago. I got a phone call when I got home asking, just by the by, what film was in there? I forgot about that. I think you'll not like the price nor the film selection available on the quickloads. Used 4x5 film holders can be picked up quite reasonably on the auction sites.</p>