Scanning and printing from paper copy prints

<p>Hi guys,<br>

I have a number of prints, standard size (small) that a friend gave me, he no longer has the files and i would just love to get some larger sizes taken off. I was wondering if they are not of good enough quality to be enlarged as they are, is it possible to scan them at a higher quality dpi etc and then get copies enlarged.<br>

Hope this is not to much of a dumb question, i still stuggle with what files can be enlarged etc</p>

<p>Prints contain no more than 300 ppi of information. You can scan them at 600 ppi just to be safe, without creating an over-bloated file. However, you suffer a great loss of quality if you attempt to enlarge them, regardless of the scanning (or resampled) resolution. Whether you attempt to do so largely depends on the contents and, perhaps, sentimental value.</p>

<p>I've had reasonably good success in scanning old prints, processing them in Photoshop Elements, and doing moderate enlargements. A lot depends on the quality and size of the print compared to what you want to do with them. Here's a before/after comparison.</p>

<div>00T0qH-123291584.jpg.28b5e558bbae23f89bf8eafb44e8139a.jpg</div>

<p>Note that the "before" is not really as sharp as it appears in my first post above; reducing the image from the original 12MB TIF scanned image to a 700 pixel-wide image for posting here makes it look a lot sharper than it really was.</p>