it should be. I was wondering how you store your prints. Not the

"final" portfolio or show print, those I've got either framed or in

acid free hinged mats. But I'm referring to the "seconds". Those

prints that are too good to toss out. I was hinking of going to a

filing system using hanging files. I print on 24X30cm paper, and there

might be hanging file folders in that size available. With this system

I could keep the prints filed according to the individual shooting

sessions or motive or date, whatever. But I can not go one using empty

photo paper boxes, it's just not organized enough.

How are you solving this problem?

Thanks for any ideas at all.

I finally broke down and ordered a pile of archival drop front

boxes from light impressions. There are other sources but they

all cost about the same. I write in pencil on the side of the box

what the contents are, that way I can change it as the need

arises. They are uniform, and look good. They stack well and

are not going to add to the deterioration of the print. I use the

thinnest one for unmounted prints, about an inch and a half high.

When I started printing (22 years ago, 35 mm at that time) I used old photographic paper boxes. Seemed logical at the time, but later I learned that this is definitely a bad idea. So since 12 years I use cardboard boxes that meet archival standards, from several manufacturers - Light Impressions, Conservation Resources (UK), and Monochrom (Germany - dont know who makes them).

I unfortunatly did not express myself all to well when posing the question. I too use Archival Standard to store my "final" prints, but I'm wondering how to store, or better said, file, those prints that are too good to throw away, but are not good enough to be considered "final prints".

I guess I would ask why store them? Years ago I saved many prints that weren't "good enough" but if I couldn't exhibit or sell them, why keep them? Now, every year or so, I cull my prints on hand, and chuck any that I wouldn't share with a prospective client or patron. The remaining prints stay stored in drop-front boxes from Light Impressions (www.lightimpressionsdirect.com).

If it doesn't pass muster, it doesn't stay around for more then a year.

I agree whole heartedly Eric. I too clean out with ice water running through my veins, sometimes only to regret it later down the road. Buit the one year rule (OK 18 months sometimes) is a good one. But haven't you ever done 2 versions of a print, say one a little darker or lighter than anther....and at first one of the two is clearly the better print, but 6 months down the road you're not that sure anymore? I find it interesting to go back and look at what I used to consider a final print, only to realize that in the years time that has gone by, my taste in printing has changed, or evolved or I've just gotten better at printing...

Most (80%) are stored in the trash. Another 15% end up in unorganized stacks around the house. Every now and then a visitor will find one they like, and I'll send it home with them. Maybe it ends up on their refridgerator or in their trash. At this stage, only 1% are worthy of display. I can't account for the remaining 4% (no doubt shredded by Arthur Andersen).

David,

wether or not you said what you said just to make me feel not so alone doesn't really matter...thank you for saying it!

See, there are other members of this forum that will make a "gift" of a print not "worthy" of exhibition. Me too...