New to leica-the must have lens.

HK71

<p>Friends, thanks for your comments.<br />Even I got several different answers they were all fruitfull thoughts, I really appreciate for that. They were really helpful and made me think again about my final choice. I have only one further point to take your advise:<br />Do you know any other sources like <a href="http://www.photo.com">www.photodo.com</a> and what is your opinion about this site's test results based on MTF graphics, do they confirm your experiences about 50 and 35 mm leica range. Especially are you agree the highest score which is given to 50 mm summicron lens?<br />Leica lens test page:<br /><a href="http://www.photodo.com/products.html?manuid=11&name=Leica">http://www.photodo.com/products.html?manuid=11&name=Leica</a><br />Thanks again for your attention.<br />Hakan</p>

<p>Hi Hakan, I don't mean to sound rude, aplogies in advance if I did.</p>

<p>Don't worry to much about charts, who has the highest, just go shoot some and enjoy. At these price/performance points they're all pretty nice. If you have any of the lenses mentioned, you'll going to have some of best ever made, ever. And I'll include the Distagons, Planars, Sonnars and Biogons from Zeiss into this group also.</p>

<p>The current 28mm Aspheric has become my "must" have lens. I'm taking the most photos with it even though it's probably doesn't have as nice of a "look" as in some of the others. For some the must have lens would be kept in it's on little limited edition box, and you could show your friends "Inside this box is a Noctilux, please don't touch the box without gloves". "It has the best MTF chart of any F1.0 lens ever made (until now)".</p>

<p>I think the 75/1.4 has the most bling factor for people like me taht can't afford the Noc. If you want to impress German Countesses, you're going to have to carry a 35/1.4 Aspheric, the best bokeh, er dunno but I really like the way you can drop a DOF around your subject with the Lux's</p>

<p><strong>Tolga Bey Merhaba;</strong><br>

Bu kaliteli platformda sik sik ulke vatandasimi gormek beni hem gururlandiriyor, hem de mutlu ediyor. Degerli yorumlariniz icin tesekkur ederim. Summilux bir lens gonul ister elbet ancak, sanirim ben de summicron 50 mm den yana tercihimi kullanacagim. Ne yazikki sinirli bir butcem var. Ekonomik kriz sebebiyle Agustos ayindan beri calismiyorum. Zaten Tokina 12-24 f/4 ATX Pro genis aci zoom umu satip bir Leica M lens alacagim. Bu bahsettigim kosullarda fotograf sevgim icin elimden gelenin fazlasini yaptigimi dusunuyorum. E-bay de bir cok lens var ama sifira yakın ve kaliteli lenslerin bütün auction lari bu isin ticaretini yapan hizli takipcilerinin hemen elinde kaliyor. Benimde cok temiz yada sifir urun alma konusunda bir israrim var. Bu yuzden bu isi bitirmem biraz zaman alacak. Ben Leica M serisini ozellikle insanlari uyandirmadan candid cekimler icin istiyorum. Seneler once bir fuarda elime aldıgim ilk Leica M body nin deklansorunun sesizligini duyunca inanamamistim.</p>

<p>Slmlr;<br>

Hakan</p>

<p>A bit late to the party :-) but here is my take on it.....<br>

If you enjoy travel and taking head and shoulder portraits then you will love the results from a lightweight 90mm F2.8 or F4 lens on a Leica M but it should not be your first buy. In this case, get a 35mm lens first which is great to do everything else on. Try to get at least an F2 lens e.g. a Summicron, as it will allow you to work indoors without flash during the day and other low light opportunities. This is very useful and you will get surprisingly good results even at quite low shutter speeds. If budget is a problem then an VC Ultron F1.7 or Leica/Minolta 40mm F2 will also do this job ok at less cost.<br>

If you don't see yourself ever wanting a 90 then arguably a 50 is the best single lens all rounder by still allowing reasonable results at portraiture. Any Summicron, except possibly collapsible, should be a good choice but beware pre 70's lenses re glass and mechanics condition. If you never take portraits then 35mm is the focal length to go for as it is simply a joy to use with a standard viewfinder (.72).<br>

Conclusion....<br>

Single lens - 35 or 50 depending on whether you want to take portraits using a short Tele or prefer to work wide.<br>

Dual Lens - 35 and 90 makes a great combination<br>

Triple Lens - 35-50-90 is considered by many to be the Holy Trinity of Leica lens lengths in a three lens combo.<br>

Gadge</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I use 28 F/2.0, 35 F/1.4 and 50 F 1.4 aspheric lenses and a 90 F/2.8 Tele-Elmarit. The 35 gets used the most, it is perfect in every way. I have heard that the 35 aspherical is a better lens from some folks, but I never see brilliant images to back it up, just snap shots and tests, pretty much useless in the grand scheme of things. <br>

If I had to part with all of them except one, I would have to keep the 35 as it is the best combo of speed, sharpness and hand hold-ability out of all of them.</p>

<p>it all depends on your needs. since i walk and run around a lot with my cameras, i prefer smaller lenses such as the new 28 2,8 elmarit. this lens is sharp but when i want a good and small lens for available light, i use a voigtlander 35 1,4 nokton as the leica version is bigger. if i want it sharper though, i'd use the 35 summilux. i also avoid larger lenses since i think long lenses look a bit odd on a rangefinder. but that's just me.<br>

since you like wide angles, i'd recommend the new leica 21 1,4 if price were no object. a friend of mine bought one and i really liked it. too bad it's way too expensive for me.<br>

in my opinion, the leica ASPH versions are sharper and more contrasty and make better lenses for color but if you shoot more black and white, the older versions of leica lenses would be better. it really all boils down to a matter of preference and budget.</p>