Decent but inexpensive wireless trigger for XTi/400D?

jblaine

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>What do people recommend as a wireless trigger for an XTi/400D ? I'm not interested in line-of-sight technologies like IR. Intended use is amateur, not pro, so it doesn't need to be the best on the market ($$$$).</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>I just looked at my XTi. Not much to plug into. I have a remote eighteen foot cord that works on my 5D but there is no plug on the XTi. About the only way to go is a Canon IR which does work on the XTi. It works well on my XTi. It works off the the auto timer. </p>

<p>Actually if you look at the manual for an XTi on page 16 and 90 there is terminal for a remote. Some of the different canon cameras have different remote terminals for some reason, the terminal for my 40d doesn't match the terminal on an XTi I handled once. So you need to make sure that you buy one that is explicitly compatible.</p>

<p>There is a plug for this on the XTi under the rubber cover on the side, right near the jack for the cable to the computer. It is a little circular thing, like an RCA jack but smaller. It is not the same as the one on the 40/50D cameras. You can buy corded remotes on e-bay from Hong Kong for $6 or $7 including shipping. I bought one that way with a 12 foot cord, which has worked flawlessly. Just make sure it says that it is OK for this model.</p>

<p>I have been using Zap-Shot wuth the XTi for the past 1 1/2 years. It's a German product, about $150, last I heard sold only on Amazon if you can still get it. Does not require line-of-sight and I have found it effective over 20 feet, but they claim 60ft. Focuses and shoots with small transmitter and receiver. Excellent product!</p>

<p>I just bought Cybersync's from Alien Bees a couple weeks ago and I am very happy with them as radio flash triggers. Having tried the ebay radio triggers and finding them unreliable, I was looking for something better than the ebay "ghetto wizards" but not as expensive as the Pocket Wizards. These fit the bill at 59-69 per unit. I am not sure if you are trying to fire camera or flash, but apparently the cybersync's can do both. I can only personally attest to their quality build and effectiveness as a flash trigger, but the following link gives instructions on how to use them to trigger a camera remotely as well. Good luck<br>

<a href="http://www.paulcbuff.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6016&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0">http://www.paulcbuff.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6016&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0</a></p>

<p>Matt: Ideally either of those, but if I can only pick one it's wireless camera shutter release.</p>

<p>Thanks for the leads. I think I will check out the Cybersync units.</p>

<p>Dick: wireless wireless wireless wireless :)</p>