Bride uses a Wheelchair - Examples?

ben_kallies

<p>I'll be photographing a wedding in May in which the bride uses a wheelchair. I'm looking to get my creative juices flowing with this unique situation. Does anyone out there have some example images that they would be willing to share in which the bride was using a wheelchair? Thank you.</p>

<p>I did a wedding (many many years ago in my film days, so no photos available) where the groom was in a wheelchair and the bride had been his nurse in the hospital. He was in a motocycle accident and paralyzed for life. It was unconventional but it was very also very touching. From a photographic standpoint it was in some ways easy to shoot as people were not typically crowded around the couple. I remember a couple shots at the reception where the groom was "dancing" with the flower girl as she rode on the footrests. The hotel gave us a towel to place between the rear hand rests on the chair and we filled the area up with flowers. I also got shots of his many friends he made during his stay in the rehab hospital (who were also all in wheelchairs - this was a Viet Nam era wedding). Again very touching and basically a rare shooting opportunity.</p>

<p>I photographed a wedding where the groom was in a wheelchair, also long ago, so no examples, but I would not be that concerned about 'creative' ways of photographing a wheelchair bound person's wedding.</p>

<p>The first thing to do is to find out how that person wants to be photographed. If the person has used a wheelchair their whole life, it is different, oftentimes, from someone who had to take up using one later in life. The former type of person is far less sensitive about being depicted in their wheelchair, as that is just part of their life. So ask. I am positive you will not offend that person if you do so politely and with care.</p>

<p>Secondly, some images just cannot be done differently if you are to photograph the day's proceedings. All you can do to not show the wheelchair is to crop in close on the person, and that is very limiting. The processional, for instance.</p>

<p>Lastly, while the person may not care at all about whether the chair is in pictures or not, it is good to provide some images--the close-ups of the couples, where the chair does not show, or shots of the bride with her mom or dad. In other words--where it makes sense and isn't too obvious, crop out the chair, but otherwise, unless the person does want you to keep it out of photos, I'd proceed as normal.</p>