<p>After years of working with the ACR and delving into the nuke and crannies of this incredible plug-in, I came across a review of my new 50D in dpreview.com. In the heat of the discussion, there was a point comparing the virtues of ACR and DPP trying to give a clear picture of each software's virtues. DPP was described as being faithful to the color rendition and ACR as being a little contrasty when rendering colors. I fell prey to this vis-a-vis and installed my DPP. To tell you the truth, it is the same crap as 4 years ago at the time I got my 20D; the same watering down of the controlling over the work flow though there are some new features like control over the ALO ( Auto lighting optimizer ) and receiving data from the lens on your camera regarding the PIC ( Peripheral illumination Correction ); the exact counterpart of manipulation of vignetting in ACR ( I don't see why someone doesn't want to sweat over the correction of vignetting manually !). DPP now offers transferring the images to Photoshop which was what I tested and you won't believe if I tell you that it took three time as much as what ACR takes to send the images into PS CS3. All the other stuffs in DPP are the same as the previous breeds. I can't still figure out why the Canon engineers haven't learned their lessons as to figure out what works best for the photographers. ACR 4.6 is far superior than DPP in many areas regarding the workflow. I would like to know your perspectives. I appreciate.</p>

<p>Arash,<br>

Different people like each of those programs for different reasons. I have found Lightroom to be the easiest program for me to convert RAW files, so that is what I use. I have used DPP in the past and I tend to agree with most of your statements. However, to each his own. Best of luck!<br>

-David</p>

<p>If you like ACR 4.6 you'll like ACR 5.x in CS4 a LOT more!</p>

<p>Like you I totally shunned Canon's DPP in favor of the better and pro industry standard ACR.<br>

They say, "DPP works with your camera's settings" as if that makes ANY difference whatsoever. Maybe for rote beginners it might be cool.</p>

<p>I've been using ACR's new camera profiles combined with the DNG coverter and have been amazed at how much control I have over the final colours in an image. I was always a bit leery of the Adobe greens (my place is surrounded by World Heritage rainforest) because they tended towards yellow but now with this new editor I've created a profile that gives me luscious greens like Velvia used to and I couldn't be happier.</p>

• 8 months later...