Why wedding business dries up - VALUABLE TIPS ABOUT SELLING YOUR WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHY

steve_hovland

<p>Steve. We have been telling you and you have yet to acknowledge a single suggestion. <br>

You are also talking in circles. You metion marketing to affluent people. Your strategy seems to be limited to direct mail and relies on the notion that "Although I am hoping for some immediate business, I'm really trying for placement in a girl's hope chest, or on her refrigerator door, where my sample becomes her motivator. Most of the single girls I promote to will be brides at least once. They've been programmed for it since they were little girls."</p>

<p>I respectfully disagree with a couple of your assertions. I do not believe that big girls (who will be your clients) are "programmed" at all. In the SF market you will deal with a preponderance of working women, educated and savvy. I would be surprised if you will find many hope chests. I don't think they are putting pictures on thier doors. I understand the notion of getting them while they are young and keeping them as clients for years. If you want to do that consider doing senior pictures and then staying in touch. </p>

<p>In my opinion any marketing strategy must be based in fact and not on stereotype. Consider what you wrote in the post above this one. What is your point about the economy? It seems to me that your assertions about the economy would call for you to devote your prospecting efforts among those who are looking now and with whom you can personalize a package that is affordable to them. </p>

<p>Specifically?</p>

<p>Wealthy peole frequently hire wedding planners who will help with every aspect of the wedding. Spend time with them.</p>

<p>Wealthy people often marry at prestigious locations. Get to know the sales people there. Be on a first name basis with the sales manager for the Mark, the Farimont, the St Francis...etc. Do stuff for them to earn thier respect and thier referrals.</p>

<p>Know the clergy in your area, They will be officiating. Know the church secretaries. Tell them you will help out those that can't afford a full blown photography experience. They will return the favor by spreading your name.</p>

<p>Know that you website is not necessarily important to lead people to you but in this day and age it is vital in turning a referral into a phone call. People expect to look at your work before they call you. </p>

<p>Volunteer as a photographer for charities in SF. Offer to photograph thier fundraising events and present the photos to the board members. They are the very affluent folks you are trying to meet. </p>

<p>This is called networking. It is far more personal than a direct mail campaign. You mentioned that these direct mail pieces cost about a buck each. I think the money would be much better spent on brochures strategically placed where brides meet. Did you consider offering to do some free advertizing photos for the various bridal shops in town in exchange for counter space for your brochures and the names of new brides for you to contact personally? If you had the names and phone numbers of 50 women who are to marry in the next six months would you pick up the phone and call them? Would you send them an email directing them to your beautiful, flash and html website and then followup with a phone call? This is the opposite of cold calling. It is hot calling because you have the blueprinting information on the prospect in advance and a referral from the bridal shop, clergyman, or wedding planner that gives you an in you would otherwise not have. </p>

<p>How do you feel about these very specific suggestions. They all have one thing in common. They are direct and personal. As your man Dale Carnegie said, "Do the hard jobs first and the easy ones will take care of themselves." The hard job in this business is getting out there and personally selling. And it is the most effective method that I know of. </p>

<p>I like getting referrals. It makes the job easier. You started off focused on women of a certain age group who are about to get married or will marry in the future. That is a needle in a haystack search. Get all of the people who influence brides to refer them to you and you are on easy street. Your net will be far larger than you can ever hope to achieve sitting at the kitchen table and mailing out brochures. It just has one small downside. You have to get out there and get amongst them. You will face rejection a lot. But the pay-off is that you will have a referral program that will give you all the work you can handle. </p>

<p>It is hard to get more specific than this.</p>

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Some very good advice Rick.<br>

Clever networking and having a product that justifies the premium the high end are prepared to pay will be the key.<br>

A website may not be key attracter of business, but brides will almost certainly look at the site as an indicactor of quality and they may want to show to their friends and family prior to the wedding to show them who they have decided on. Inevitably things like dresses, cakes, flowers, etc are discussed to death prior to the wedding and the bride is not going to be too happy directing interested friends and family to a cheesy website to say this is the photographer we have chosen. For this reason alone, going with something classic and classy is important.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Most of the single girls I promote to will be brides at least once. They've been programmed for it since they were little girls."</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br />Maybe you didn't mean it Steve but this very condescending.</p>

<p> <br>

. . . and I did also write: "I am not keen on direct mail, either."<br>

<br>

Rick: Articulate, concise comments, from an insightful understanding it seems to me: (referring to your post Apr 07, 2009; 11:25 p.m.)<br>

<br>

I also agree with the mostly all of sentiment contained in your post Apr 07, 2009; 09:32 p.m, but your aim was a little askew, IMO.<br>

<br>

***<br>

<br>

The "web page stuff" has got me all so excited I will now have a look at your Web page, Steve, though I think I will defer any comment on it.<br>

<br>

WW</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It's silly, but if I were to marry in the near future, I would not have a photographer or a videographer. I hate pictures of myself. I'd rather have my memories.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Nadine,<br>

It's not silly at all - it's how your feel. But you might want to consider that some of your friends and family won't be able to make it to the event, so they'll have no memories of it at all. If you have children in the future, or if there are young nieces and nephews in the family, they'll have no recollection of the event. Photographs will make the event real for these people. At least have a friend take some non-intrusive snapshots of the key moments. Even if YOU hate photos of yourself, to others they may seem invaluable. Food for thought.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Nadine,</p>

<p>Can you honestly say that you don't know your friends and family well enough to risk a guess as to whether or not they would pay for Steve's services based on the web site he presented? Of course people shouldn't base their entire decision on a web site, but the quality of his work and how he presents it sets up a first impression. And right or wrong, first impressions count for a lot.</p>

<p>Steve himself has described this venture as "experiemental" and that these are his "ideas for breaking into [the high end] world". He is going about this based on his own theory without any appreciable experience or acknowledgement for established methodologies, at least from what the rest of us can tell. He makes claims like "black is neutral both in color and emotion" in reference to web sites and the only connection he can make to that color is "black mood".</p>

<p>One of my favorite wedding photographers is Jeff Ascough (<a href="http://www.jeffascough.com/">http://www.jeffascough.com/</a>). If you don't know anything about him, I'll let his web site do the introductions. Note that his presentation is lacking in color, but I don't think anybody can argue that it's emotionless or that it's not suitable for his intended niche demographic.</p>

<p>I scanned this topic quickly and would like to make a general observation.</p>

<p>The OP never posted a question; he posted a theory. Other posters joined in and offered insights that contradicted the OP's theory, but the OP has remained resolute in his convictions and does not seem to be open to suggestion.</p>

<p>Here's a new theory. If a business person (in ANY business) is not willing to consider suggestions from others, particularly from clients but also from experienced peers, they may lose business due to perceptions of inflexibility even if those perceptions are exaggerated or unfounded. Clients demand flexibility. They want to be listened to and to have their suggestions acted upon.</p>

<p>Steve - Spend the next 55 min's <a href="http://media.showitfast.com/fts/USER_PLAY-87309.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=Email+marketing+software&utm_content=618577414&utm_campaign=FTS+Jasmine+_+hrkuul&utm_term=her+presenation">watching this</a> , it will help you to undertand your desired target market a bit better and introduce you to the theory of branding.</p>

<p>When your done, check out these photographers website's: Mike Colon, Denis Reggie, Joe Bussink, and David Jay. These are all photographers who are, at this moment, catering to your desired target market, earning well into the 5 figure range per wedding.</p>

<p>Steve, Chris is correct and Rick's comments are excellent. The higher end of the market is a tough nut to crack, even for seasoned professionals who are looking to move upward. The vast majority of wedding photographers work within the middle range of their market (who would be affluent and quality-focused, in your particular area) with only a handful of photographers who service the 'high end'. If I were to consider the top shooters I know, I would say they deliver the 'ultimate experience' to their clients. Every aspect of the process is made pleasurable, the surroundings where the discussions take place, to the viewing room, to the champagne and canapes which are served therein. The products are exclusive and impeccably designed (as are their websites). The photography is spot-on. They have strong relationships with the finest venues and spas. By all means aspire to this, but we all have to start somewhere. You're clearly sticking with direct mail of some sort, but I hope not at the expense of the other (proven) methods we have suggested. I can only think of one anecdote involving this sort of marketing - a shooter I know described his early beginnings to me once - how he produced a beautiful, stylish A5 card (good enough to frame) detailing his services and a tempting promotion, and placed these through the doors of houses within the streets which represented his clientele. Note, this was a restrained, precisely targeted exercise, brief and not too costly. Apparently it did bring in some enquiries (<em>by drawing the prospects to his website</em> - that is key). It did not in itself involve much in the way of profit, but for his purpose of building a bigger portfolio it helped him to get rolling, and that was his aim. I believe he nearly had his hands chewed off by guard dogs in the process, but that's another story. </p>

<p>As for colour - I think we all understand its value, on the walls of our houses and in the clothes we wear, but your comment is a sweeping generalization and lacks context - that is, websites. There's nothing wrong with a bit of colour (I use it myself, but in a restrained manner) but overall neutrality is always best. You will disagree of course, but why not at least give it a go?</p>

<p>Nadine, the feedback I receive is not garnered from my friends or 'mothers of the bride'. My clients are generally of independent and often enviable means. They are well educated and discerning. In fact, I am yet to deal with a MOB. I find all their comments worthwhile (to disregard them would be odd), particularly those who I don't end up working with. But ultimately one evaluates how things are going by bookings and sales, how well the business plan is turning out, and most importantly being able to adjust and tweak things where necessary. I respect your reasons for preferring not to have a photographer. I got married once, a long time ago, and I remember feeling the same. But (as has already been mentioned) given how important those records would be to some of the others, I really had to cave in. I did without a few of the trimmings, so I could have the best photographer around. I didn't order many pictures (marvellous as they turned out to be), but my mother bought tons. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Dan has mentioned something very important - listening skills and a degree of flexibility, that's vital. The first step is always in understanding your clients' wishes and dreams, and considering how you'll best serve those needs, whilst avoiding blanket or inappropriate assumptions. For example, not every girl has been 'programmed' and lives her life fantasizing about her wedding day. I'm sure you didn't intend for that to sound how it did, but we are not Stepford residents. Studying the marketing tools of pros who serve your target group is mandatory, as Chris suggested. I would also recommend taking business seminars, <em>for photographers, run by successful photographers</em>. They are golden. But only if you are prepared to accept that they know what they're talking about.</p>

<p>Steve<br>

I think the mailing is not a problem, its positive I use to do it along with phone calls when I was selling insurances. It always gave me my best contacts and business. The referrals come from them selves. WE need to do something for new business. I think a web site is the chance to show more then you have in your letter. A place where the bride to be can always go to look, after she has the visiting card in her head or on her fridge door.<br>

When you send your letters or give out your business card people will look at your web site. It does not look like it was made by a proffesional company more someone who was learning homepage.<br>

I really think you can improve that. I don't like flash you also say this. I think there is no reason to use it.<br>

I just googled to find a site that I like without flash well this has both but wehn I look at this simple page I like it. Its simple but its great because the pictures talk for themselves.<br>

<a href="http://www.julieharrisphotography.com/colorado_mountain_weddings.html">http://www.julieharrisphotography.com/colorado_mountain_weddings.html</a><br>

Its really simple, its just a roll of pictures but when I look at it and scroll as they come It makes me feel good about this photographer. I would image it wakes that feeling in many people.<br>

I would think the part about the website upgrade again.<br>

Regards Carl</p>

<p>Nadine, something you said a while back has me thinking. You wrote: <br>

<br /><br>

And asking 1) other wedding photographers and 2) friends, family and acquaintances in the target age group for their opinions (otherwise called mother in law research) is dangerous</p>

<p>So I would ask you, what method do you use for feedback? Things I am asking friends, family, and acquaintances about are questions such as, "What do you think of this color scheme?", or "What would you rather have in your wedding package: a credit or an album?" These are questions I ask to several people in my target group... so even though the decision is ultimately mine, I feel better knowing that my target market doesn't completely hate it. I try to take their comments and criticisms to adapt whatever end goal I have to the best it can be for my business.</p>

<p>I'm curious about your methods? Where do you get feedback/informed decision making material from? Please share! :) Thanks.</p>

<p>Gaining feedback from (successful) photographers in our field is crucial and is a primary learning tool - be they mentors, colleagues, prominent members of a photographic society, professionals who we assist, or contributors to this site. We all need useful and viable opinions. Nadine, I agree that asking friends can be risky and one can end up trying to read between the lines or interpreting their responses, so that may be best limited to those who we know will be brutally honest with us. (-: Aside from client feedback, research is a habit to keep up, learning about our competitors and their businesses, seeing how they're doing, and maintaining relationships and contacts. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I wouldn't pick a photographer based solely on a website. Too many ways to put up smoke and mirrors on the website. (Nadine)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Nadine, you make a very good point. And I agree with you - I don't think anyone should use a website as the sole basis for hiring a photographer.</p>

<p>But I suspect most prospects use first impressions from a website as one of the reasons for not hiring someone.</p>

<p>In fact, I seem to recall PDN did some market research and reached the same conclusion by getting sample brides to do talk through their experience of wedding photographer websites. It was in their wedding issue a couple of years ago. A website may not by itself win anyone more business, but unfortunately it can certainly lose them some.</p>

<p>Steve, I'm also in agreement with Rebecca that I don't think your website does justice to your photography - I would certainly consider getting a new site - with different colouring. Also, in the first few years, my business (wedding and portrait photographer) mostly came from word of mouth. Now, i'd estimate that I get 2/3 of my business from Google. I'm constantly - and I mean constantly - working to increase my ranking because it has become clear to me that not being on page 1 or 2 is basically useless. IMO, the web is the way to go for advertising - it's free if you work on increasing your organic ranking - though free in this case usually means spending many hours researching, learning, blogging, commenting, etc.</p>

<p>As a follow-up, I couldn't find you in Google within the first 6 pages for the searches, "wedding photography san francisco" or "pet photography san francisco". You are not taking advantage of the single best way of getting business, in this case because your website is also not properly optimized. Yes, the economy is not good and many photographers are getting less calls, but you are at a serious disadvantage with your current set-up - basically beholden to word of mouth.</p>

<p>Well, I'm glad this thread is actually kind of back on track.</p>

<p>Dan--I meant my idea was silly in that I am a wedding photographer. I realize my family and friends might like some photos, so in my case, I'd ask my artistically inclined nieces to snap pics on their P&S cameras, and I might shoot formal family photos myself, but that's all. Also, I repeat--just because Steve does not agree with what has been suggested doesn't mean he is deliberately rejecting anything and everything. It IS possible he just doesn't agree with what has been suggested. Now, I don't know if he is or isn't, but I don't think we can assume he is, having no real evidence of same.</p>

<p>Vihao--I know my friends and family well, but would I hazard a guess about hiring Steve, based on the website? No. As for Jeff Ascough--I know and like his work. Good website, IMHO. But as I said before, I believe there is room for a person to stamp a bit of his individuality on his or her website, and it is OK. I would much rather see this than more homogenized websites, or copies of copies of websites, just because a photographer thinks this is the way a website should be done, or thinks this or that website is the coolest, and copies it.</p>

<p>Lindsay and Rebecca--I remind you that there is a second part to my statement, "And asking 1) other wedding photographers and 2) friends, family and acquaintances in the target age group for their opinions (otherwise called mother in law research) is dangerous, <strong>even though good info can also be gotten, if you know how to winnow the subjectivity out.</strong>" You can get worthwhile info from asking the opinions of friends, family and other wedding photographers, of course, but relying on this info without also using your head, following your heart, and sampling info from complete strangers in your target market--for example, polling the people who don't hire you--is dangerous. I would say that marketing is still a voodoo kind of endeavor. There are no absolutes, and even though you can quantify certain parts of it, you still end up 'throwing things out there and running it up the flagpole' to see if it works. This is why marketing folks use focus groups, because the people in focus groups are chosen for being in the desired target market, but because they are not related, or acquainted, or tied in any way, to the sponsor company or it's employees, subjectivity in responses is kept to a minimum.</p>

<p>On occasion, I ask people who don't hire me why they didn't hire me. Sometimes I get an excuse of a statement, but sometimes I get complete honesty. And the results are very revealing to me. If you get such responses, then, by all means, ask about your website colors, etc. And it is useful to read about tests, such as the one mentioned above, re brides and photographers' websites. In the end, though, because we wedding photographers don't have the same resources as large companies, we have to take the whole of our results and evaluate them against our efforts, much as Lindsay describes. This is why I say you have to use your head (read some marketing books, NOT by wedding photographers) and follow your heart. Intuition is a big part of marketing. This is also why I am not so against Steve's direct mail campaign. Just because it didn't work for 'most' photographers, or it didn't work last year, doesn't mean it won't work now, or it won't work for Steve. Maybe it will work for him, but not for you or me. But he won't know until he tries it.</p>

<p>Neil--certainly, some of your statement is true. First impressions do count. Thing is--everyone here is telling Steve (as if everyone had the one, true way) that his website is subpar. Me--I don't think there is a one, true way. And I don't think colors, by themselves, make a big difference. Flow of the site make more of a difference. For a photographer's website, the pictures make a difference. But these things are MY opinions. Steve obviously has HIS opinions, and they aren't arbitrary. So maybe the first impression his site makes is the one he wants it to make... How do we know?</p>

<p>As for Rick's last comments--very well done and I agree with most everything that was said. Except I would say that there are segments within the 'wealthy people' group. Here in SF, there is 'old money' and 'new money/celebrities'. Depends which group you want to reach. All of them are very insular, and it is very difficult to get into them without being a member yourself and or being a highly charismatic personality who also has the photographic goods. As you can imagine, there are highly skilled wedding photographers already 'at the trough'.</p>

<p>Also, Bard, as Steve says above, google San Francisco wedding photography and you get 11.5 million hits. Try navigating your website to the first two pages with those kind of incredible numbers to swim upstream against. Besides, the very affluent don't go by websites--they go by their friends' and the party coordinators' recommendations. And as I said above--there are already many, many photographers who are themselves part of those circles, or 'got in' somehow, on the recommendation of one of the circles' members. In these circles, it really is all about who you know.</p>

<p>This talk about 11.5 million hits is a red herring. It is absolutely meaningless. There are 856,000 returns for Butte Photographers. Of course if one is looking for excuses there is not end to them. For those of us who totally misunderstand how google works and the three purposes for a website, suffice it to say that all that matters from an advertizing standpoint is the first one or two pages. This doesn't argue against having a website it argues FOR good optimization. The second purpose of a website is to allow people to view your work after being directed there by your prospecting efforts. In this case the number of other sites on a google search is meaningless. The third use is as a presentation/sales tool for existing clients. Again the number of other hits is meaningless.</p>

<p>I will not try to go into search engine optimization but it is doable and worthwhile. One of my endeavors enjoys a #2 position on google and it is solid gold. We work at maintaining this position. </p>

<p>Nadine the folks who service a high end clientele did not "get in somehow". The made a plan, worked their plan, cultivated their clients and other influencers and worked very hard to get it done. It is a purposefull effort on thier part. It is not Kismit. Probably one or two are trust fund babies but that is about all. I can guarantee you that they all offer a high quality experience, backed by first rate support matierials (such as thier website) and a very personal approach to selling and prospecting for new clients. They are in those circles because they are worth the high fees they charge. And by worth it I do not necessarily mean that they are the best photographers around. But as a package they are the real deal. </p>

<p>Just about anyone can break into this circle. All they have to do is take wonderful pictures, present them beautifully, prospect like crazy, followup every lead and opportunity, do what they say they will do and when they say they will do it and try not to breathe through their mouth. That's all.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>IMO, this forum is predicated on sharing experiences and information that people can take or leave at will. </p>

<p>Steve, I've spent my entire life doing marketing while doing wedding photography for fun on the side .... until recently retiring from a very successful advertising career. Now I'm a full time photographer. Perhaps I can share a few insights that may help you and others here. Take it or leave it : -)<br>

<br /></p>

<p>"Many photographers depend on word of mouth." I would say this is true, and it IS generally speaking the best source of new business since it requires little to no effort or expense for the initial contact ... but ONLY if you are getting the type of business you want from that referral system. Word-of-mouth (i.e., Buzz), is the most coveted marketing tool for any brand, product or service. Starting, feeding, and controlling "Buzz" is the basis of a billion dollar industry called "Public Relations". <br>

<br /><br>

"You get one client, you get her friends. Eventually most of the people in her reference circle are married." Generally this principle is also true, although the circle of referrals can be greater than you think. Moms tell other moms, older brides tell younger relatives, and so on. Thinking of "Mom" when creating wedding materials can pay dividends later. The other marketing gold mine is usually right at the wedding itself ... starting with the vendors, wedding planner if there is one, and the wedding party itself which is often made up of marrying aged friends and family. Paying some sort of attention to them can put you on their shopping list in future. Again, this can cost next to nothing in terms of priming the pipeline. <br>

<br /><br>

"Business dries up." Yes, this can happen if you cycle through a family and all who they can influence. In general, a basic principle of marketing is that the passing of time diminishes opportunity. The trick with any reoccurring business is to feed new quality "circles of influence" into the pipe-line. For an example of what is good income, but poor quality of increased business, is out-of town weddings ... it's often a dead-end in terms of referrals (not always, just usually.)</p>

<p>"The solution is to keep bringing in girls somewhat younger than average marriage age of 26 for females." Also true, but "narrow think". The target should be in the circle of influence that best defines the financial area you aspire to. For example, my two most lucrative categories of client are 1) professional women with a life plan in place ... they finish school, get a job, start a career and then when that's accomplished, want to start a family ... none of these women have been under the age if 27, most are around 30ish and many of them either help pay for the wedding or pay for it themselves. 2) younger women with relatively well off parents where Mom is the key to increased sales. </p>

<p> <br />"Direct mail may be the best way to reach the target demographic." Not in my experience (which included being Executive Creative Director for Wunderman Worldwide). Direct mail is "old think" .... while still viable for certain products with attached offers to tap into immediate sales, it is a colossal waste of marketing resources for a wedding photographer UNLESS highly targeted and creatively used as a way to further "Buzz". There are far more efficient and effective forms of media currently available ... you are looking at one as you read this : -) </p>

<p>But rather than discounting Direct Mail, let me pose a question:</p>

<p>If the principle of "word-of-mouth" or "Buzz" is accepted as an excellent source of prospecting, how do you extend the influence of word-of-mouth to be more wide spread? For one example ... is a $1 Direct Mail piece sent to a thousand "maybes", more effective than creating Buzz on Face Book? Is anything you can write about your service and talent more effective than a recent Bride typing in OMG! and sending to every friend she has along with a link to her wedding gallery or your website? It would have cost me thousands to reach that same amount of impressions I've received for free. I can add late breaking news anytime and every link I have gets that news ... without finding me on google. I also created a link to my Wedding Wire/Martha Steward Weddings page ... because "Martha" has more influence and a lot more marketing $ than I do.</p>

<p>There are a host of these type outlets that are NOW not yesterday. And it is exponentially growing in influence because it's powered by ... you guessed it ... word-of-mouth.</p>

<p>Concerning websites ... mine is desperately in need of updating ... but that has taken a back seat to other forms of marketing which have yielded the best wedding year for me ever ... and is already extended all the way to July of 2010 ... and I am in one of the most economically depressed parts of the US ... Detroit. </p>

<p>Mr. Marc Williams - Thank you so much for your input into this discussion. The information presented by you would and should qualify for Marketing 101 college credit, maybe not that far but your words of wisdom are greatly appreciated. I don't know if you already do this but we photographers need what you have and I bet that a few of us would be more than willing to attend a workshop on how to market ourselves better. Just a thought.</p>

<p><strong>" ...... even though good info can also be gotten, if you know how to winnow the subjectivity out.</strong>" ... in reference to gaining opinions from photographers and friends etc.</p>

<p>Ah! I have a friend who will always tell me when my bum looks big - she's very useful at times! And never ask family (-:</p>

<p>Nadine, you talked about something else which was interesting - gaining entry into certain groupings, and the difference between old money and new, a very good point. I am British, the spectre of the class system is everywhere (though it's not as bad as it used to be). I have also lived in California, and was struck by the opportunities which would otherwise have been closed to so many of us back home. What I mean is that, here at least (and I'm sure to a degree in SF) a client will assess and judge you in the blink of an eye - and it has nothing to do with your apparent wealth or perceived success - but in an instant they will take in your demeanour, your accent, they will guess where you went to school, they will consider your postal address and how you carry yourself. In short, your social strata. If it differs a little too much from their own, in some circles you may not get much further, unless of course you've spent years building your profile in all the right ways. Steve - there are no short cuts I'm afraid, there can be no weak links - not one - and at the higher end of the market your website (with everything else) needs to make an enduring first impression. As Marc said, will that Bride be so overwhelmed that she'll e-mail it to all her friends, and do her bit to perpetuate your referral chain? It's suicidal to underestimate your clients.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks Chris. What is relatively funny is that until I retired from my Advertising & Marketing career on December 31st, 2008, and now only "consult" ... I had not really applied much of that knowledge and experience to my photography business. A case of the Cobbler's children going without shoes ... LOL. Before, I was getting enough supplemental wedding work while spending most of my time and energy on our marketing clients. Now I have the time to devote to my wedding photography.</p>

<p>Obviously, these aren't the only avenues for marketing your business ... others have already been covered in this thread ... I'm just offering some alternative approaches for consideration.</p>

<p>"Networking" is another "buzz" word now days ... I've used professional links to inform former associates and people I worked with in my former career that I'm doing wedding photography full time now. </p>

<p>One other VERY effective thing I've done is create a PDF that I can e-mail initial prospects that contact me ... this uses the principle of tailoring the presentation back to the prospect more precisely ... a concept that uses what is known in Direct Marketing as "Curriculum Marketing", where the response informs more and more in a tailored manner as the exchange between you and the prospect continues. </p>

<p>I have a simple format in layers that allows me to customize the message and swap images instantly ... and then PDF the presentation back to the prospect. For example, if the potential client says their venue is the Dearborn Inn, I plop in some shots from a wedding at the Dearborn Inn ... if it's a Winter wedding, I include winter shots in the lead pages ... copy is kept very simple ... for example, one page shows weddings from a Christian wedding, a Jewish wedding, a Hindu wedding, a Greek Orthodox wedding ... with a simple headline caption that reads "One Love under God" ... this shows experience with all the various customs and traditions. If the prospect is Jewish, I make the lead image one from a Jewish wedding. It works, trust me : -) </p>

<p> </p>