D300 latest firmware

sharonm

<p>My D300's firmware is: A 1.01 and B 1.00.<br>

I believe there has been a recently updated firmware that I should download onto the camera.<br>

Could someone be kind enough to let me know what those firmware numbers are? <br>

I am a bit nervous about downloading firmware but have heard the latest version is a 'must have' for the camera.<br>

I live in Australia, so expect I would download it from the Australian Nikon website?<br>

Excuse my ignorance but I gather I would use the USB cable (UC-E4 USB) supplied with the camera to do the download with? <br>

I have a MacBook Pro but can use my husband's PC for the download if needed.<br>

Sorry for asking such basic questions but I have never downloaded any sort of firmware for a camera before.<br>

PS. For other D300 owners - I would like to add my D300 has been a fantastic, no hassle workhorse for me. My camera has been dropped, knocked by horses and weathered sand storms, rain, extremely hot as well as extraordinarily humid, rainy conditions (from jungle to desert). I have lost count of the thousands of images it has taken. Keeping my fingers crossed it will keep on keeping on! <br>

Cheers,<br>

Sharon</p>

<p>Was there a problem with your camera that makes you think you need to upgrade the firmware? I am of the mindset "if it aint broke don't fix it" with my cameras. I never upgrade the firmware unless there is a known bug that needs fixing. Never heard of any bugs in the D300, nor in the D700.</p>

<p>Greatly appreciate the kind assistance given by everyone.<br>

I just read what the firmware updates (thanks John - a big help) and I guess the items that catch my attention are the Focus and Auto white balance improvements. Any improvement here would have to be a plus for me.<br>

Dave, I agree, I usually go with the "if it aint broke don't fix it" thought too. Hence my hesitation about whether I should do the firmware update or not. <br>

My thoughts are if Nikon are offering a firmware update they must feel the update will enhance the performance of the camera - but there is always that niggling thought - should I download it or not - and what happens if I muck it up.</p>

<p>Read the instruction really well and only upgrade the firmware until you are sure you know exactly how to do it.<br>

I always upgrade mine and I never had a problem.<br>

You can use your mac to do this.<br>

Make sure you upgrade 1 file at a time. Start with A. You have to download it to your computer, then transfer it to a CF card and then from the CF card to your camera.<br>

After you are done with the A file you have to erase it from the CF card (format the card) and start all over again with the B file. Good luck!</p>

Before doing anything, make sure your batteries are fully charged. The camera may need to be on for a while.

I did a firmware upgrade for my D700 and it was a cinch. I simply downloaded the software into my Mac, and then copied it onto a CF card, placed in a card

reader. Then I put the card in the camera, had the camera upload the firmware (that's where you need it to be on for a while)

and that was it. The in-camera process took about five minutes. If you don't have a card reader, I think the procedure

asks that you connect the camera to the computer and move the software to the camera (which will appear as a massive

storage unit). Like René said above, make sure to read the instructions well before doing anything.

<p>Sharon,</p>

<p>FWIW, it seems that when there is a problem with a firmware update, it tends to show up in the first couple weeks of release. I have not heard of any issues with the current D300 update. </p>

<p>But I will reiterate what Rene said........ read the instructions very carefully. There are a couple steps that are critical. If you have any problems with it, feel free to post here and someone will walk you through it.</p>

<p>Hi Sharon,<br>

I have heard of people having problems with firmware updates. I have the current versions as well. The key to firmware updating the camera is to follow the instructions given by Nikon to the T. Do not skip any part of it. Read them before you do it so you don't accidentally go wrong.<br>

Good luck it's not hard as long as you stick to the instructions.<br>

Lil :-)</p>