Where to start?

kay_doucette

<p>I love photography and decided it was something that I wanted to do. I purchased a Canon Rebel XTI, 18-55mm lens, 28-210mm lens, soft focus filter, circular polazring filter, +1, +2, +4 close up filters, +10 macro and +20 macro filter. I also purchased a flash and battery pack. The horrible thing is I do not understand how to use my camera other then on the auto settings which dont take the best pictures. How do I learn when I have no one to teach me?</p>

<p>Kay, there are many ways to learn more about photography. My favorite spot is the local library. Lots of books and info for free. Another good resource is the internet. Again, lots of free stuff to teach you and btw, that includes Photo.net.</p>

<p>Of course, there are many books you can purchase from places like Amazon, Borders, etc. Try going to Amazon and searching for books about photography. You will be overwhelmed by the amount out there.</p>

<p>

<p >I highly recommend the Kodak Guide to 35 mm Photography and it is still a great book to learn photography and camera basics from, however I just noticed that Kodak also has the Kodak Guide to Digital Photography which has been revised to include digital. </p>

<p >Get this book!</p>

</p>

<p>Being a total newb myself, i completely agree with Jeff Tebbetts. Out of the 7 books i have read in the last week the "<a>Kodak Guide to Digital Photography</a>" is easily the best for a complete beginner. (got it at the local library, first time i had been there in about 10 years.) As for understanding your camera i personely would suggest the "magic lantern guides" book for your camera it realy helps break it down to terms and explinations you can understand, unlike the instructions that come with cameras.<br>

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/KODAK-Guide-Digital-Photography-Sheppard/dp/1579909698">http://www.amazon.com/KODAK-Guide-Digital-Photography-Sheppard/dp/1579909698</a><br>

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Lantern-Guides-Canon-Digital/dp/1600590993">http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Lantern-Guides-Canon-Digital/dp/1600590993</a></p>

<p>Kay,<br>

I know that some people learn better in a classroom, or with a mentor, etc. If this is true for you, there may be a community college or recreation center nearby that offers a beginner digital photography class. Or perhaps your local camera store has courses?</p>

<p>There are also several online classes and courses available -- some are free, and others are paid. Please note that I am not advocating one of these online classes over any others, and this is definitely not an advertisement. :-D<br>

- Betterphoto (www.betterphoto.com) has a free online class on using your dSLR that should help you to figure your way around your camera.<br>

- Digital Photography School (http://digital-photography-school.com) has many lists of tips, and several tutorials available for free.<br>

- Photo.net also has free tutorials that should help. The "Learning" tab at the top menu is a great starting place.<br>

- Youtube actually has a lot of photography tutorials. Many are based on specific techniques and/or subject matter, but there are some beginner videos out there, as well.<br>

- There are other, paid, online courses. I think that Adorama has a deal with Picture Perfect.</p>

<p>And, while I haven't always taken this advice -- nothing will replace time, patience, and practice. And my favorite advice is "Just keep shooting!"</p>

<p>Also check in your area for a photography club or organization that may have montly get togethers. Several good suggestions for books, and I'd spend some time at your local bookstore looking thru what they have, and also magazines...they can be pretty useful when you get past all the advertisements. Read the manual, then read it again...play with the settings (using the manual) and practice, practice, practice.</p>

<p>"How do I learn when I have no one to teach me?"</p>

<p>First, read the manuals. Sit down, and go over a chapter or two at a time. Try out the controls, make pictures, see what happens. After that, start reading. The Kodak Guide is as good a place as any. If there are any Jr. colleges in your area, take a beginning photo class so you have company, make social contacts. If you want someone to walk you through the whole thing, either befriend a mentor (and bring the beer) or pay one for one-on-one instruction, which is not cheap.</p>

<p> Remember, you also have an army of people on Photo.net eager to help you whenever you ask.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Here are some things you ca do to improve your knowledge...<br>

1. For each piece of gear you have already bought... read the owners manual. This will introduce you to the particulars and features for your particular products. They are also sprinkled with good tips, hints, suggestions, and guidelines that will make you a better photographer.<br>

2. Visit your local Public Library, and ask someone to show you where the Photography books are. Do a quick perusal of what's there. See if they have a basic beginners book, and check it out. Read one section a night.<br>

3. Get out and practice shooting pictures. There is simply no substitute for hands-on experince. Remember that with Digital Photography you can always delete the pictures you dont want or dont like. And taking a lot of pictures does not incur additional expense. So take a day off, plan a 'photo safari' to someplace interesting, and shoot lots of pictures. The next day, sit down and evaluate your pictures. Also, try to learn from your mistakes.<br>

4. Try to find a local Photography Club in your town, where you get to meet and network with more experienced photographers and see their work.</p>

<p>Kay, others have given you lots of advice already but I'll add my opinion too. I agree with a couple of others who said you could just get out and start shooting and trying different things. That's what I would do. As mentioned earlier, perhaps review the manual a bit, but I find that just trying things is a lot of fun. Perhaps you could find something that seems interesting to photograph. Once you've chosen that, try several different program settings, lenses, filters, etc. and keep notes as to which factors were used for each shot. Then review them later and see what worked well and what didn't. As already mentioned, you can delete what you don't want to keep. This digital stuff is so much nicer that way than film! Classes and books are great, but sometimes just getting out there and experimenting can be more fun and it won't cost you anything!</p>