CAM1000 vs CAM3500

tele_tele

<p>Hi,<br>

I would like to know what are the differences in speed and sensors between CAM1000 found in D200, D80, D90 and CAM3500 found in D300.<br>

a) Is center sensor better at f5.6 or f4 on CAM3500 or is the same? For BIF I use only ~420mm at f5.6 or 300mm at f4 so this is good to know. Is it cross type at 5.6 in CAM3500? What about in CAM1000?<br>

b) What f are other sensors in CAM3500 (cross type) ? I know only central is cross type on CAM1000.<br>

c) Those of you who upgraded from those cameras to D300. Is difference in AF speed and accuracy very noticable and worth the price?<br>

d) Was CAM1000 slowing down lenses before on the camera side? Do they feel faster od CAM3500?<br>

Thank you.</p>

<p>I use both a D200 and a D300. The AF performance on the D300 is substantially better when dealing with tricky, moving subjects. The 3D tracking can be very effective in some situations, and the extra cross-type sensors are definitely more useful than the non-cross sensors on the D200's out-of-center focus points.<br /><br />I frequently shoot quickly moving subjects in poor light. In situations like the shot below, the light's pretty good but the subject (a grey Weimaraner running towards me at an angle, carrying a grey partridge, against a muted background of dried vegetation) the quick movement and low contrast would have sometimes challenged the D200, but the D300 nails it every time.</p><div>00SxfO-121715884.jpg.c8053db6396e7be7b37ff564b30f39f7.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks.<br>

I read somewhere that some better sensors are f2.8 which enhance AF speed with fast lenses.<br>

What I would like to know if there is also difference with f5.6 lenses, which in my case is very important.</p>

<p>Think of it this way: when I use an f/2.8 lens in good light, the newer AF system works very well. Better than the old one. When the available light is reduced by a few stops (the equivalent of dropping from f/2.8 to f/5.6), the new AF module is still, plainly, superior to the old one. Whether it's less ambient light or a slower lens that is the cause of less light making it to the sensor, the newer AF module is still a better performer. The results are tangible, especially on low-contrast, moving subjects.</p>

<p><em>"b) What f are other sensors in CAM3500 (cross type) ?"</em><br>

The three center rows.</p>

<p><em>"Is difference in AF speed and accuracy very noticable and worth the price?"</em><br>

Noticeable? Absolutely! Worth the price? Depends on what you are shooting and which lens you are shooting with. For fast action sports and/or low light situations with a fast focusing AF-S lens, yes without a doubt.</p>

<p>If probably would be helpful if you let us know what you planned on shooting and which lens you were going to be shooting with.</p>