Time bandit "Schabernack" and my Pentax

markus maurer

<p>When the evil time bandit "Schabernack" manipulates all the watches in "Tick Tack" town to run way too fast, only Kaspar and the snail can help. The photos where made with my Pentax K10D & Pentax F-50mm macro, a Osram 440 hammerhead flash and two spotlights and black velvet for the background. Flash and camera on manual settings around F5.6-7.1, 1/50, ISO 100, flash 90% bounced. The puppet theater will use my photos for the advertisement in the theater in Lucerne, Switzerland :-) </p><div>00SumO-120481584.jpg.5d23bbbc4f12609474f8f6acd13b6ea2.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks alot for looking and commenting Noah, Tim, Andrew, John, Michael and Dave!<br>

Regarding your question John: The flash was needed because the puppet player moved the puppets professionally while I took the photos to make them look as alive as possible. Different poses and actions or even the camera angle change the impression you get from a puppet or even its character dramatically, that is the hardest part, because as a professional, the puppet player saw bad posing immediately on the photo.<br>

I could use her 2 professional and dimmable theater spots on stands at a height of about 2 meters and a distance of around 2.5 meters from the puppets from the left and right side as main lights. The flash was mainly used to get minimal shutter times of 1/50 at ISO 100 and some catchlights. The Osram was bounced 90% to the ceiling and only a small part of the flash was directed onto the faces through the build in diffuser/reflector of the Osram Studio 44 . The flash sits to the left above camera at a slight angle due to it's construction. With static objects I could have used a tripod or monopod instead of flash as well, but working without for around 3 hours nonstop and around 40 keepers was much faster :-)<br>

Last time I used the spots and a weaker but nice Pentax Flash AF280T on the Pentax flash grip and bounced all of the light directly up to the ceiling just to get fast shutter times again . That worked as well but I had to raise ISO to 200 then. The (white) ceiling is around 2.80m high inside this old garage. <br>

The black velvet was around 2 meters away (as far as possible) from the puppets, a 90mm prime like the Tamron macro I used during the first session some weeks ago made it's details invisible at F5.6-6.3 but with the Pentax 50mm macro I had to burn some disturbing background details in postprocessing but got a bit more DOF in return. <br>

1 main flash from left above camera on a grip and a slave on a tripod from the right and a distance for the shadows would have worked also, but then you really have to take care to avoid light spill onto the background when you diffuse & bounce the flash and of unwanted reflections. With the light spots I could see the results before I took the photo, that and the light quality helped a lot of course. I used 2 flashes in manual mode for an easily portable and inexpensive solution at (paid) portrait sessions before :-)</p>

<p> </p><div>00Sv6T-120599584.jpg.b22b93e1c5eb9e8c02ef1e3c9936dabe.jpg</div>