Canon 5D or Canon 1D Mark III ?

wadleigh

<p>Yeah, another good idea Mark - I will look into how much that costs. I have seen high prices for renting the 1DMarkIII. </p>

<p>I have been thinking it over with all 3 cameras: Canon 50D, Canon 5D Mark II, and Canon 1D Mark III.... all 3 have their advantages and disadvantages.</p>

<p>I went for a walk yesterday with my current Canon 20D and its really great, but the shutter speed with RAW images is very slow. I am not a fan of photographing in JPG at all. I like to have the flexibility of editing my images with the full range of information from the RAW file. So this is something that is really important to me - shooting speed with RAW format. </p>

<p>Another feature that is required is the 3" LCD, but all of these cameras have that. Just at different resolutions.</p>

<p>I am tempted to get the 50D because I love the 20D so much, it would be an easy upgrade for me as far as functionality, feel, and little training needed. However, it would be the same darn crop factor and that bugs me with regards to wide angles. I will be keeping my 20D because I love it, but this is why I am leaning more towards the 5DM2 or 1DM3. </p>

<p>One question I have... my Canon 20D has about 8 MPs on it. The 1D Mark III has about 10 MPs. Doesn't seem like much of a difference - what is the gain here? Can my photos be printed in larger sizes with the 1D Mark III? </p>

<p>Started with the Rebel line, moved to the 5D a few years ago and have been eyeing up the 5DMII. Looks like the MkII is a fantastic bang for the buck. Nice thing I also like about the 5D series is the optional battery grip. I use it most of the time, so gives "more body" and fantatsic battery life, but can be stripped off if you want to lighten the load. <br>

If you like doing wide angle on landscapes, indoor photography and events, you will appreciate the full frame capability of the 5D. If your worried about the zoom but can sacrifice some speed, you can get a 1.4 or 2x extender for your 70-200. </p>

• 1 month later...

<p>I made my decision and went with the Canon 50D. I figured I just did not need the high-end model (Mark III) for my photography. Sure it would be a great buy, but not needed. And I was not comfortable going from the 1.6x crop factor camera to the full-frame. Big difference and I really wanted that 1.6x extension to my telephoto lenses without having to buy another long lens to also carry around. I have wide angle covered with my 1.6x camera and that is good enough for me. So I simply upgraded my camera to gain all the great features of the 50D. I really wanted the bigger display with high res, plus all of the other bits of the 50D are great.</p>

<p>I am loving the Auto ISO by the way!</p>