6x4.5 - a format too far.

tom_cheshire

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>"Square frames are hard to find,,,,I shoot digital & Hasselbald at weddings, I cut the 5x5 down to 4x5,,,if you like old-school square wedding photos, than it is great. You do not have to flip the album back & forth. But nowdays of photojournalistic style shooting, shooting 2000+ shots at a wedding, med. format is about $1.10 per click for film, processing, & print. Do the math,,,,,"</p>

<p>I have done the math Gregory ... what many folks don't take into account is that the print prices are the same for either media ... so the premium for using film for wedding work is the price of the film itself and the film processing ... the proof prints are a wash. So, you have to weigh how much time it takes you on the computer to do what the lab does for you with film. Personally, I make a little more than a lab tech does, so I'd rather be shooting than processing. </p>

<p>Not avocating one medium over the other, but pricing may not be the best reasoning to use digital. There are plenty of other advantages for the wedding photographer. </p>

<p>BTW, someone shooting journalistic wedding work usually doesn't do it with a MF camera ... film or digital. </p>

<p>Yes, like the RB67 very much. Never had one. The scuttlebutt on them from repair shops say they need repair often. McBroom, in his book, says they are about as portable/hand holdable as a car battery. So far, in 6x7, have the Koni-Omega. Nice but heavy. </p>

<p>The thing about medium format is you want it for the higher image quality and larger enlargement possibilities but, when photo'ing people/models, the camera should be mobile so the photog. can jump around to the best angle or shot. A lot of the time a model gets the perfect pose and the photog. has to "grab" the shot without the luxury of time in composing so having a larger negative that can be cropped to the right composition is a plus. Careful composition work is not always a possibility in every phase of photogr. </p>

<p> </p>