Lens choice

<p>I am a very amateur photographer with a Nikon D70 (right now it's enough for me), the standard kit lens, and the VR 18-200. I would like to add another lens which would do well (relative phrase) on indoor shots (possibly even indoor sports - pics of my daughter's high school volleyball or basketball games). Recommendations? </p>

<p>The 50/1.8 D, at just over $100, has your name written all over it.<br /> <br /> Happily, your 18-200 zoom can tell you what focal lengths might actually be useful for you. Set the zoom to 50mm, and see how it treats you indoors. Too long/tight? Nikon has a new 35/1.8 AF-S out, which is under $200, and would be another contender. Alas, it's probably going to feel too wide for the indoor sports stuff (another theory you can test with your zoom lens, ignoring for the moment how slow it is, aperture-wise). I think you'll find the 50/1.8 to be a revelation, personally.</p>

<p>Careful, once you use a fast prime you're not going to want to use your zoom anymore :)</p>

<p>But yeah, that 50mm f/1.8 and the 35mm DX are two of the best values out there and both are great performers. I have both but the 50 mostly gets used for film.</p>

<p>Greg, you definitely want a fast lens for indoor sports but 50mm might be a bit short if you are sitting in the stands. If so, Nikon makes a real nice 85mm f/1.8. However, it is a few hundred dollars more expensive than the 50 and a little more than double the cost of the new 35mm prime.</p>

<p>Hi Greg,<br>

My setup and needs were identical, and I chose the 50/1.8 as others have suggested. It's a fine lens suitable for many indoor natural light shots, plus some indoor sports shooting. Unofficial lens tests (shooting bricks on my fireplace) show it to be soft wide open at f/1.8, and it sharpens up nicely by f/2.2. The 18-200mm is quite soft wide open (max aperture depending on focal length) and really needs to be at f/11 or f/16 for really crisp shots. It's a wonderful zoom but as always, zooms entail compromise.<br>

50mm on a DX camera is a little long for general indoor use. The 35mm would be more versatile for family shooting inside I suspect.<br>

Lately I've been lazily researching moderately priced short zooms that are slightly wider than the 18-200mm, and sharper, primarily for family pictures and landscapes. Another set of money/performance compromises...<br>

Best of luck with your decision -Paul</p>

<p>Don't know if the 50/1.8, a fine lesn as others have noted, will be long enough for shooting the bkbal/v-ball pics you have in mind. You may need something 105mm or longer. The fixed lenses may be a better choice over zooms for indoor sports shots, faster lenses more suited to the situation.</p>