Should there be anything to worry about when buying non Canon battery?

sarah_r.

<p>I purchased an Osprey-Talon Battery For Canon EOS-5D and there is a notice on the side of the package that says 'check the camera instruction manual for the compatibilty before purchasing any other battery'.<br>

I cant find my manual anywhere but i am sure Canon wouldnt recommend people buying any other make.<br>

Question is, whether or not Canon would recommend it, is it ok to use the Osprey-Talon battery?<br>

Thanks!<br>

Sarah</p>

<p>I'm sure that Canon make money out of batteries, whether they make them or not, and so its not terribly surprising that they try to plant a seed in your mind that anything else might not work so well. Personally I use a mix of Canon/non Canon batteries with my 5D and haven't really noticed a difference in performance. However thats not quite the same as saying that I'm sure they are all identical, irrespective of price and provenance, and the price differential between cheapest and most expensive is very large. But I do know that other brands work. </p>

<p>Using non-OEM batteries might result in poor performance, fires and loss of warranty rights. Other than that, nothing important. Heck, Sony can't seem to get their own batteries right.</p>

<p>The more you know about Li-Ion batteries, the less likely you are to experiment with them.</p>

<p>Edward</p>

<p>I can see where Canon's warranty excludes damage from the use of non compatible batteries, but that isn't the same, at all, as saying that they intend to exclude any damage coincident with the use of batteries that are clearly compatible (to the the point where they are labelled with the same BP511 - or whatever- nomenclature). </p>

<p> I'm not even sure that Canon would be able to invalidate warranty purely because there was evidence of use of non OEM batteries; nor indeed am I aware of any evidence to indicate a desire on their part to do so. </p>

<p>Maybe if I've missed something you could point it out please?</p>

<p>Lithium Ion batteries can be dangerous if manufactured with flaws. They can catch fire and be difficult to extinguish. This can occur during charging or when under heavy use, and even when in storage.</p>

<p>Personally, I would not buy an "off brand" Lithium Ion battery and I would also be careful to when buying the "official" battery to make sure that it's not a counterfeit by buying only from a reputable source. The same goes for the charger. Over charging Li-ion batteries is very dangerous. Use only the charger made for your battery.</p>

<p>A few links: <br>

http://techthoughts.org/2008/01/12/fletcher-cchicago-ditches-lithium-ion-after-fire/<br>

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/dell-battery-fire.htm<br>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeWq6rWzChw</p>

<p>I've used SterlingTek for both my 30D and G10 with no problems. I've never read of any problems with their batteries on PN, POTN, and dpreview. It has been awhile since I've been on dpreview though.</p>

<p>I would think that if there have been problems with their batteries it would make its way to one of these three sites (actually probably all three) but peace of mind is valuable so if you are going to sleep better by using only Canon batteries then do so.</p>

<p> </p>

<p><em>The more you know about Li-Ion batteries, the less likely you are to experiment with them.</em></p>

<p>That there is the wisest wisdom yet to appear in this here thread. Little bombs, they are.</p>

<p>Thanks, Alan. I try to be pithy. BG get's it too. After three successive recalls, Sony still seems to be missing it.</p>

<p>For Dave's benefit, you can't charge an Li-Ion battery based on voltage readings. They have a built-in computer that tracks usage, with a charger to match. "Match" is the key word. Some people never get cancer from smoking, so I guess luck can play a part with batteries too ;-)</p>