Rebel 2000, how much lens weight can it take, proper hold

chito_baclig

I just bought a 70-200mm 4L USM, the first heavy lens I bought. I

feel that this is quite heavy for my Rebel 2000. Ric has informed me

that 700 gm is no problem. I will be testing at least a roll and not

planning to buy a new body yet. Any other experience? What is the

proper way to hold?

Thanks, jude

That's a relatively light lens, at least if you've handled an f/2.8 in that range. You only have to worry if you drop the combo. Heavier lenses almost always come with tripod mounts built in anyways, so then the camera only has to support itself.

Just cup your left hand and put it under the lens, control the body with your right hand (wish they made left-handed cameras). Once you get the hang of everything you'll just wish you had the second wheel of an Elan 7. ;)

I use an EOS-300 with the 70-200/4L and have had no problems. You might want to get a different strap rather than the standard Canon one or your shoulder might suffer from the extra weight of the lens. The lens can take an optional ring tripod mount which in my opinion is essential, but it is expensive (at least over here in the UK). As for holding it, I find that if you cup the lens in the normal way the centre of gravity falls naturally on the zoom ring, so that's where I hold it when it is not on the tripod.

Have fun with it!

Simon.

On the strap front, I like the large neoprene straps, such as those produced by Optech and Tamrac. Takes a little getting used to (they sit lower on the neck than a normal strap, and if they are not put that low, they can really strain the neck, esp with a 2kg+ load).

As for the 70-200 F4L on a rebel, I'd always keep that lens supported. The lens can cause twisting of the camera's chassis (I experienced this with my EOS 5 and 300 F4L IS), which will not do any good. The polycarbonate used to build the lens mount is very tough, but flex in the camera is a worry, as the rebel is not built to take heavy lenses (unlike the EOS 3 or EOS 1V). As long as you take the weight of the lens, you will be fine.

Honestly, my wish list now that I have this lens is a new EOS body. Making the rebel the backup. I will be shopping for a tripod ring.

But now I will be setting up and start shooting as a test. I am confident with the result and has now confidence carrying this lens on a rebel.

Thank you all.

jude

Someone mentioned that Tamrac and Optech make very good straps. This is absolutely true, and I've found that my favorite strap is a very wide, W shaped Optech model (<a href="http://david.angstlust.com/pics4boards/optech_strap_photonet.jpg" target="_blank">click here for the quick digital picture I took</a>). It costs a lot (like $24 US) but it's worth it. It distributes the weigh very well!

I would certainly recommend the tripod collar. I sometimes use an EF 70-200/2.8 and an EF 400/5.6 on a Rebel body and have found no problems with the combinations. I always support the lens, by hand or by tripod. But any long lens needs support when on a tripod; the heavier they are, the more support needed.

I use OpTech straps on all my cameras except the Rebel--it gets less use than the others and it's very light.

The cheaper black Tripod Ring "A" does, indeed, fit the 70-200/4L. It does not fit the 70-200/2.8L. Tripod Ring "A", whether in black or white, fits 70-200/4L, 300/4L, 400/5.6L, and 200/2.8L. However, being that the 200/2.8L is painted black rather than white, the ring for the 200/2.8L is black as well.