Oh no, not another obsession!

<p>Just when I thought I had I bought, used and sold just about every classic camera I ever really wanted to try out. Just when I thought my searching out and spending money on cameras was slowing right down what do I go and do? I'll tell you. I go to the flea market and find a pair of nice pre first world war Voigtlander Field glasses. Within 6 weeks I now have 8 pairs of vintage binoculars and a reference book.<br>

I have now become a collector of binoculars too for heavens sake! Where is this madness taking me?<br>

This is not a cry for help, just a cry for sympathy ;)</p>

<p>Steve, I have narrowly avoided collecting binoculars, but after starting with some WWII era Zeiss, Steiner and some other lesser names, I started collecting modern Leica, Nikon, Steiner and Zeiss binoculars. I managed to go through several of the 12 steps to keep only a couple of choice pair. So, you have my sympathy.</p>

<p>There is a reference? </p>

<p>I have a B&L 7x50 post-war pair that you can see was made for the military but they left off the mil. markings to make it a consumer product. Very heavy. One time saw a pair by Universal Camera Co. (they made the Mercury camera) but didn't buy them. I've had a few old binoc.s but it doesn't grab me that much. </p>

<p>What I have now are a like-new-in-box SunScope binocular radio (radio built into the case) and a few binocular disguised booze containers. Oh, and a Tasco binocular camera (110 film) with the extra accessory telephoto lens. Plan to sell all that soon one day on you-know-where. </p>

<p>hey maybe you need some ww1 era wristwatches to go along with the rest of the gear? i have a couple and when i wear them people say how modern they look :) don't forget fountain pens from the era, as well, to record your adventures. when the obsession moves on from optics you'll really be in trouble.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Well... I'm in 1) classic cameras, 2) knives, 3) military bayonets, 4) sand hours, 5) military crests, 6) fancy brass bottle openers ... plus because of my profession I often receive fountain pens as a present, and I must have some 200 of them..<br>

... wife is in 7) minerals, 8) caleidoscopes, 9) musical boxes, 10) ducks (models, not the living ones), 11) old white porcelan (all sorts) ....<br>

... together we are in 12) old prints, 13) ethnical masks, 14) wood & laquer boxes...<br>

You should take a look at our place...</p>

<p>Dave, that was just mean. Maybe we should all pool our resources, and trade stuff amongst ourselves. I too find my self drawn to all kinds of optical devices, or anything that will affect, or be affected by light. I once saw an ad for a compleate set of eye doctor test lenses, with the cabinet. Thankfully I was totaly broke at the time, or I would have been dragging it around for the last 20 years. </p>

<p>I think it's the combination of brass, leather and glass. It's just so tactile and feels so solid and well made. On the other hand I'm not drawn to all things optical thank goodness. I have no trouble getting rid of old pairs of spectacles for example, nor am I likely to become a collector of kaleidoscopes or optical toys. I could easily collect vintage cars but don't have the money or space...and I don't drive! Watches are tempting but the eye strain involved in messing with screws on cameras is bad enough. As for collecting old girlfriends, they were expensive first time around; I like to think I have learnt something from my mistakes.<br>

Glad to see however that we are all striken to some degree by the compulsion to acquire and preserve things from the past. I would welcome a retreat from the overwhelming predominance of built in obsolescence and the dispose and replace mentality that this engenders.</p>

<p>Bonsignore, you got a muesum there, not a house ;-).</p>

<p>Collecting classic cameras is fun, but also very addictive, it is like hunting for an elusive prey. The problem is that, when the prey gets conquered, thereis always another one to up the path; it's a vicious cycle.</p>