Help! - Need to take "PSeudo" Sr. Portrait

winn

<p>Long story short - (between the subject just moving and the economy, I am all they've got.) I've agreed to take some pictures on short notice of my H.S. Senior nephew for the year book. I would like to also take something that is usable as a Sr. Portrait. (My sister understand that this will not be anywhere near professional quality.) This will be my first formal portrait.<br /><strong>I've found a decent shooting location - a barn. These will be (mostly) outdoor shots.</strong> <strong>My question, what aperture and ISO</strong> (and shutter speed) <strong>should I use?</strong> I'm thinking ISO 200 and apertures of around 2.8. <br />I have the D400, 85mmf1.8, 50mmf1.8, 24-70mmf2.8L, and 70-300mmf4-5.6 IS along with the 580 EXII speedlite (no other lighting equipment) and tri-pod. (I wish I had the 70-200mmL )<br />I was planning on using the 50mm and 85 mm along with fill flash for most of the shots and then a few at 200mm with the 70-300mm. I was not planning on using the 24-70mm unless I need shorter than 50mm for an indoor shot.<br>

Any suggestions will be helpful! Thanks...</p>

<p>I second Bob. Trust your gut, look at unique angles and backgrounds. These are way more important for senior photos then the tech side. The lens I would use is probably the 85mm 1.8, with some 24-70 thrown in. The Iso of 200 should be fine, but adjust that in the field. There's no way of us knowing what the light will be like. I would consider off camera light, or no artificial light at all, but that's just me. Try going to Target or Walmart and purchasing a car reflector (for the windshield). It should help you get some fill if you are in a pinch, and its portable. </p>

<p>Go to Amazon and search on "senior portrait" and you'll find at least two or three books on the subject. But one thing that is important to understand is that the senior portraits you shoot for the student and what is required by the school for the yearbook may be two very different things. School yearbooks very often require a formal head and shoulders studio shot, sometimes specifying that the guys be in a suit and tie or that the girls be in some type of drape or gown. They also sometimes have specific requirements for the headsize in the pictures, color of the background, the size (in inches or pixels) of the picture they receive, and how it is delivered (jpg at a certain size etc.) Separate from that are the fun pictures that the students generally want, which can be the type of casual shots in a barn that you're talking about, or a football player in his uniform, musician with his instrument, guys trying to look tough, girls trying to look sexy, etc. Be sure to find out what your nephew's school requires for the yearbook. If they require the traditional studio portrait and you're not set up for that, best to leave that to the official contract yearbook photographer who will be coming to the school and cranking through hundreds of kids in a day. You can still shoot the fun stuff.</p>

<p>Thanks for all of your help - I got at least 2 different shots that were decent. Luckily, it was an overcast day, so the lighting was good. I was planning on the 85mm being the money lens, but the two shots I like were with the 50mm and the 70-300 mm (at 150mm). I used the 85mm lens first and didn't get into a rythm until after I had switched out the lens (also, the subject had relaxed more afterwards also). I didn't have the lighting equipment to get a good shot inside the barn. And of course I made some dumb mistakes and will know better next time.</p>

<p>Brian, there's a lot you can do with the 580 even inside a barn. For example, you might have your subject just inside, with soft "window light" coming from the open barn doors on one side, and use the flash for fill light on the other side, or as a hair light from behind, or to light up the background. (With the flash off the camera, of course.) Read the Lighting 101 section on <a href="http://www.strobist.com">www.strobist.com</a> for lots of ideas on how you can get the most out of even a simple shoemount flash. I realize you've already done this shoot, but there will hopefully be more down the road.</p>