tripod for 400D and canon 100-400

prasad_apte

<p>Hi guys!<br>

can anyone suggest me the tripod which I can use for canon 100-400? It should be sterdy but easy to carry (I know that really lightweight kind of tripod cannont help me with 100-400) my budget is some what between 150 to 200$. If I can't get the new one from that much money I am OK with used one!</p>

<p>Manfrotto / bogen 190 legs & a basic head like the 056.</p>

<p>Calumet used to do great value own brand tripods of a similar design & construction quality but at a keener price.<br>

If you can stretch to it something like a 702RC head is ideal as it has a basic counter balance. Not much use for lenses without a rotating clamp, but ideal for the kind of lens you are using.</p>

<p>You may need to redefine your criteria, since you may not be able to get a tripod to meet even two of them. I got a ~$300 easy to carry (fits in a carry-on) set (M-190/465 Head or something like that) for my 100-400. Even with a “sand bag” on the tripod, the lens when extended to 400 shakes like a Parkinson patient. One solution is to put some weight on the lens; but too much weight may damage the body or the lens. Of cause, it is possible to find a very used legs/head set for $150, sturdy but not easy to carry (probably not easy to use too).<br>

Hope others will provide a solution, so I can trade my set.</p>

<p>Maybe something like the Manfrotto 055XPROB leg set with the 488 ball head. Should come to around $275. You can go lighter and cheaper (like the 190XPROB leg set with the 486 head), but you'll only save about $50 and you'll lose some stability.</p>

<p>There is a sequence of purchases that many photographers go through when the first contemplate getting a tripod. Many of us, if pressed, will confess our own experience with this.</p>

<p>After finally realizing that a tripod might be useful, but unable to believe that they should cost what they seem to cost, many first acquire a very inexpensive and light tripod. Often cost and small size/weight are the defining criteria.</p>

<p>After using the "cheapie" tripod for awhile we realize that problems with them. Not at all steady, unwieldy and awkward camera mounting system, adjustments that stop working correctly, and so on. So we decide to get a "better" tripod, probably looking for something in the price range you describe, but still feeling that the high end tripods are way over-priced and unnecessary. So we spend about what you are planning to spend. At first the difference seems quite remarkable since the tripod is at least superficially much like the high end gear. Eventually we realize that all is not quite so wonderful - again the quality turns out to be less than anticipated, the tripod is steadier than the cheapie but not really steady enough, setup and take-down can be awkward. We retire this tripod to backup/loaner status...</p>

<p>... and realize why the high end tripods are worth the cost. They are well-constructed, well-designed, can be modified and customized, can stand up to some degree of rough use, and operate well and predictably and efficiently in the field. Oh, and we realize the same thing about tripod heads at about this time as well. We no longer resent spending, say, $600-$1000 for a good set of legs and a head.</p>

<p>Good luck with your purchase. :-)</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>I'm <strong>highly</strong> satisfied with my Manfrotto 055XPROB with 804RC2 pan/tilt head. The vertical center column lifts up and then reconfigures to a horizontal position. Very useful for tabletop work. It's not a lightweight, but I find it works well to dampen vibrations. I believe it is also available in carbon fiber, but I'm sure the cost will well exceed your budget.</p>

<p>I have to agree with G Dan Mitchell. I have been taking photos for many years as an amateur and have owned several tripods all of which had something to be desired and have cost progressively more money. However, I recently decided to buy what I hope will be my last tripod (at least until my use for it dramatically changes) and so far it has been great, but that setup cost far more than 200.00. I am pretty sure you won't be able able to get anything decent for 200 including a tripod head. Given you have a decent camera and decent glass, I'd wait until you can afford a decent tripod too. If you stick with photography I bet you will be spending the money sooner or later anyway. In the meantime you could also consider a monopod. Depends on your you case. Note: the 100-400 IS should be turned off with either a tripod or monopod though. </p>

<p>I have a 190D tripod, 5D, and 100-400 lens. I believe the 190D load capacity is similar to 11lb capacity of the 190X and 190CX series tirpods. A bogen <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/479933-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging_190XDB_190XDB_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html">190XBD</a> goes for about $100. On it I have the bogen 410 mini gear head (in my opinion one of the best heads out there) which weighs 2.7lbs. This setup doesn't have any problems supporting my 5D with the 100-400. You can get this tripod with any bogen head for betweeen $170 to $500. However at $200 limit your choice of heads is a little limited. I would advise saving up for a good head.</p>

<p>In regards to David Wu's comment:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I got a ~$300 easy to carry (fits in a carry-on) set (M-190/465 Head or something like that) for my 100-400. Even with a “sand bag” on the tripod, the lens when extended to 400 shakes like a Parkinson patient. One solution is to put some weight on the lens; but too much weight may damage the body or the lens.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>David, it sounds like you are attaching the camera to the tripod. Instead you should be attaching the Lens Tripod Mount Ring (supplied with the 100-400) to the tripod. When attached this way the lens is balanced, there is minimal stress on the camera body, and it doesn't shake as long as I don't extend the tripod center column. A 190XBD plus <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/124665-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging_410_410_Junior_Geared_Head.html">410 mini gear head</a> (equivelent to what I have) currently costs $308 according to my B&H catalog. Unfortunately this tripod head combination is about 25" long which could be a problem for carry-on.</p>

<p>Steven, Once I did mistakenly use 100-400 on 5D with camera mounted on 190XPROB+488RC2. It was almost unusable. If possible, I always hang some weight on the tripod and some on the lens at the mount ring location. Even with that, it still cannot guarantee the results. Since I always try to avoid checking in luggage, a CF 4-section tripod may be my next choice (but still need "sand bag").</p>