Good Free Noise Reduction Software

<p>The only one that I've ever used is Neat Image. It works quite well. This is a stand-alone version. I don't recall whether they offer this as a plugin -- either free or through a paid version.</p>

<p>Other programs that people around here talk about as being both good and having a free version are Noise Ninja, Noiseware and maybe a few more that I don't remember.</p>

<p>Noiseware CE is quite good but you need to learn to "drive" it properly as I find its automatic functions not to be so good as some payware software. Its easy to smear out the details if used incautiously. I tend to find that it can be used a bit more agressively on photos with larger details (eg buildings etc.) But in general its well worth owning and learning to use. The best payware one I have trialed is Nik Software "dfine" which as with all their software works pretty effortly and effectively. Wish I had the spare readies to buy it and in fact all of their software.</p>

<p>Patrick, the one in Lightroom doesn't seem to do much at all, compared to something like Noiseware etc. Latest version LR. I tend to prefer to use a plug-in in P.S. either on selected areas or using the history brush to work back the areas that don't need as much N.R.</p>