Africa tips for Jan/Feb?

mark_olwick

<p>Hi,<br>

I'm starting to plan a trip in January or February of 2010 to Africa. I'm unclear about weather and wildlife in those months, so would love some advice from those of you that have been there.</p>

<p>I've read the recent posts with shooting tips (great stuff, thanks!) and am now looking for more info about weather and wildlife, as I mentioned.</p>

<p>The next question is where. It's still very much up in the air. Likely Tanzania and Zanzibar, but I'm also very intrigued with Botswana and Namibia (yeah, I know, I'm all over the place at this point, but I'm still in the brainstorming phase). Don't want to follow the herd of tourists if possible (may be unavoidable in some places, I know).</p>

<p>I'm planning on being there for at least 3 weeks.</p>

<p>Any tips or Web pointers to that sort of info would be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Mark</p>

<p> I went to Kenya and Tanzania in August if 2005. The weather was absolutely perfect with zero bugs. I know that's not when you plan to schedule your trip, but I thought you might like to know. It was the trip of a lifetime! If you can't get great photos there, you must have left your lenscap on.</p>

<p>I used to live in Kenya and in Tanzania. Jan/Feb is the hot, dry season.In the rainy season the grasses are longer and animals are harder to spot, plus as has been mentioned, animals do not need to congregate at water sources.<br>

The Maasai Mara is by far the most visited park in Kenya; you will see more tour buses than animals, for sure. Samburu NP and Lake Nakuru are still popular but a bit less busy. Tsavo East and West and the biggest parks in Kenya, and very different terrain (red, dusty plains). I loved Hell's Gate on Lake Naivasha (you can cycle or hike and camp here) - you will see lots of girafe, zebra, and buffalo, but obviously no predators.<br>

Shimba Hills down at the coast is also good for elephants, although it is a bit out of the way and so safaris will cost a lot more.<br>

One more thing about Kenya - if you get the chance take the overnight train from Mombasa to Nairobi. It is fantastic. The train is pretty run down, but the food is great, and you wake up in the middle of the Athi plains with wildlife at the side of the tracks and Nairobi in the distance. Ah, that reminds me - Nairobi National Park - not to be missed!<br>

In Tanzania, Arusha National Park is quite nice (not predators again though), but you can do a walking safari with a guide and get (too?) close to big buffalo herds. Ngorongoro and Serengeti are obviously the big ones, but I never went there (Serengeti is just the Tanzanian extension of the Maasai Mara). There is a park in the south of the country (I forget its name) that allows walking safari even though predators are present. It also has the dubious distinction of being the only park to allow wildlife hunting.<br>

Let me know if you have any other questions - I could talk for hours about these places!</p>

<p>Hi Mark,<br>

For an unforgetable 1st trip to Africa, I would suggest Kenya and Tanzania in Sept/Oct. As Michael stated, the weather also was absolutely perfect and bug free. I took a three week fly-in safari which followed the "migration", and it was beyond belief. If you visit the Serengeti, Maasai Mara, Ngorongoro Crater, Arusha NP and Samburu NP, and employ good guides, you will see EVERYTHING there is to see!<br>

For my 2nd African adventure I am planning a trip to Uganda and Rwanda-Gorilla Trekking. I anticipate this to be a very different experience with different photographic requirements. Good luck to you.</p>

<p>In February the migration will be in Tanzania, in the southern part of the Serengeti. This is the time and place where many of the animals give birth. For this reason it is the time that is most favoured by professional wildlife photographers and it is also peak season in terms of cost.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>For January, I'd choose Tanzania. I've been to Tanzania in January and to Botswana, South Africa, and Zimbabwe in September. If you'd like to see my photos, please e-mail me privately for a link to my website (I understand they won't let me post it here). They are some of my very favorite photos I've taken from any place in the world!<br>

Tanzania offers the best photography for wildlife and cultural opportunities. We saw 17 different cheetahs (including some with cubs), LOTS of lions (some with cubs), along with everything else you'd expect and hope to photograph. It's overwhelming! We also were able to visit with and photograph Masai, a real treat for me!<br>

We were lucky to have such a great guide. The company we book with has expert trackers that are used to guiding photographers. That made all the difference in the world.<br>

Julie Roggow</p>