Epson V700 B&W scan mode

<p>Grayscale because a) the file will be 2/3 smaller and b) the only colors you are going to pick up in RGB mode are not going to be releant or useful.<br>

When scanning a color original that you want to end up in black and white, disregard this advice.</p>

<p>Here's what to do: First, scan a negative as RGB then take this file into PS and examine the different colour channels separatively. Most likely you will find that they do not align perfectly, hence sharpness suffers. Noise characteristics will also differ among the channels. With Epsons the green channel is usually the sharpest/best. When you've decided which channel you prefer, you can set this in the scanner software and scan the rest of your negatives as greyscale (16bit TIFF).</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Bengt,<br>

I've been experimenting with the method you suggest and, in most cases, it does indeed result in sharper scans. My issue now has to due with a tonal mismatch between the preview image and the resulting scan.<br>

Have you found a solution for this? Scans using green channel consistently come out darker than the preview.<br>

I've tried compensating for this using the Curves tool as well as the Midtone slider adjustment, but it seems the shadows are saved at the expense of the highlights.<br>

Any suggestions?<br>

Tim</p>