How to size digital image for fast loading website?

35mmdelux

<p>Maybe I worded it wrong? I use Gimp software and have the ability to resize the image -- dimensionally and pixely-- as desired. The photo needs to have some quality about it. The final product needs to be about 1/2 size of a post card.</p>

<p>Will a 600*400 photo have visual quality?</p>

<p>Go to some of the photography sites and look for images that look like they display properly in your estimation. Cruise through some of the links in this forum and open the sites. Cruise the SmugMug sites. Right click on the images and go to Properties. This will tell you the size of the image you are looking at. You'll probably end up with images that are between 600 and 800 pixel on the longest side. <br>

You can, however, embed a link to a larger version of your image with a simple HTML code so the site has one image that downloads, and a link to a larger version with your image host.</p>

<p>I tweak each JPEG individually for maximum compression without going overboard into artifacts, posterization and other problems. Some photo editing programs will let you preview the effects of JPEG compression (as well as PNG and other formats) before saving. My old copies of Corel Photo Paint 8 and Jasc Paint Shop Pro 7 do. The preview screen enables magnification too, for pixel peepers, but generally speaking if the preview looks good at 1:1 magnification, it'll look fine on the web.</p>

<p>Some photos, lets say typically anywhere from 600x400 to 800x600, can tolerate a 75%-80% quality setting before unacceptable compression artifacts are visible. Others, especially those with either large expanses of blue or red, or those will very fine detail (especially multiple diagonal lines), will tolerate no less than 90%-95% quality before blocky compression artifacts and posterizing set in. My JPEGs in the above specified dimensions may range from as little as 30KB to as much as 300KB, depending on the unique characteristic of each image. When an 800x600 or so JPEG begins to approach 200-300KB in file size, I'll usually reduce the dimensions to get a larger file size with high quality, rather than either overcompress the larger JPEG or, worse, force viewers to wait for a needlessly large 1024x768 2MB JPEG to load.</p>

<p>None of the popular freebie photo editing packages I'm aware of allow JPEG compression previews. Not IrfanView, not FastStone, not Picasa (unless the most recent version is different). Few, if any, of the simpler low priced photo editing programs do either, so it's a trial and error process. If I do have to use Irfanview for batch processing I'll review the subsequent JPEGs and may individually redo some to either get a smaller file size or to minimize artifacts.</p>

<p>A very good method is the thumbnail ( a rather small picture ) that loads on your page, quickly, then when you click on it a much larger photo is loaded. That's how the gallery, here at Photo.net works. It's just a matter of including a link to the large version, within the photo placement on your web page.</p>

<p> </p>